AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hiding and Freaking out

Registered Member

Default Hiding and Freaking out

Hi. I read the useful info in the following thread regarding skittish discus, but I am still not sure what to do. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=7914

I have 9 2-3 inch discus in a 55 gallon tank. The water parameters are the following:

pH=7.6-7.8
    TDS=175
    KH=3
    GH=3
    Ammoni=0
    Nitrite=0

I use R/O water and add back some filtered well water and do 50% water changes 4-5 times/week.

I feed CBW, Hikari frozen Bloodworms, and Ocean Nutrition I and II flakes, feeding them between 5-6 times/day.

I have 3 sides of the tank covered.

I've had them for about 5 weeks now and they were not skittish at all when I first got them. About a week and a half ago I lifted something close to the tank and it freaked them out. Now any time I go near the tank, 1 or 2 hide and the rest follow. They then start flying around the tank, trying to jump out or just running into things.

It is getting very frustrating!!!!!!

The strange thing is, I have another 55 gallon tank, also with 9 discus of about the same size, and I do everything the same with them and they only hide when I do the water changes. But they come back out right away and never freak out when I get near the tank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re:Hiding and Freaking out

Hi,

You list ammonia and nitrite but not nitrate. Have you checked for nitrates? What is the temp?

Whenever mine get skittish the first thing I do is to raise the temp to around 88 and add 1 TBS salt per 10 gallons. This helps most of the time.

Is there anything creating a vibration near the tank? Slight sounds to us can be deafening to fish.

Stray electrical current in the water?

Stray electrical current in the water?
    He, he! Lets say equipment failure instead! Check your heater.

I have had discus scared because of bumping into the tank by accident or dropping something in the tank. It takes them a while to relax again. I make sure that when I am feeding the discus actually associate me with food. I also have my hands in the tank everyday to wipe it down. Usually takes a couple of days until the discus realize Im not out to get them.

I have scared them also once and they got skittish. I fell towards the tank and stopped right before the glass.
    What worked in that case was that as I was wearing a white T-Shirt as it happened and I did not wear one the next few days as I was doing my feeding and w/c. After a week they were just fine and trusted me again.
    Well I have the food ;D
    Could be something as simple as that or what was already suggested before.

Ronald

Registered Member

Double check the Ph of the well water you are adding during wc's. I was having a similar problem. Fish were skittish and then started acting stressed. Found my tap water was 6.5. Tank is 7.6. Started aging water and all fine now.

Keith

Registered Member

Thanks to all who have been responding. To answer your questions:

I age my R/O-well water mix for 3-4 days with heavy aeration. The pH of the aged water is about 7.8-8. The pH in the tank is more like 7.6 at this point, which may be slight problem.

I changed out the heater today, to make sure there was no stray current problem. So, I'll see how that works.

I checked the Nitrate reading and it is between 5-10 ppm. The tank temp is 86. I put in 1 TBS of salt/10 gallons today.

No vibrations around the tank that I can tell.

Seems to be one guy that runs away and the rest follow his/her lead.

Hopefully one of the above things will help. I'll let you know

Thanks again for the suggestion/support.

Eric

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Take the jumpy leader out and put him in the calm tank. sometimes all it takes is one skittish discus to panic the whole bunch.