ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: HELP nitrite spike

Registered Member

Default HELP nitrite spike

Aloha, I need some suggestions on nitrite spike in an occupied tank. Last night I wiped down the sides of my 45g tank with 8 spotted leopards. when I came in a few minutes ago I lost 2 of them. I did a 50% W/C. So now my question is what else can I do for them? I will be doing another W/C tonight. Or would it be better to move to another tank? Mahalo for any suggestions. answers, and prayers.

Aloha Ike :'(

Default Re:HELP nitrite spike

I would recommend getting your fish into safety first. So if you do have the option of putting them into another tank without any side affects (like another ammonia/nitrite spike), I would. Or use lots of Prime until the situtation is under control! Prime will detoxic ammonia/nitrite!

Next, why the nitrite spike! Overfeeding? Clean the bio filter? Any chemicals/meds lately? New fish? Etc....

Sorry to hear about your loss!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Move them if you have room - or . . . .
    You can add cycled media from another filter.
    Salt helps nitrIte poinsoning - the standard one or two tablespoons per 10 gallons.
    Water changes until the filter kicks back in. Keep nitrIte at zero.

Registered Member

Aloha ronca and Carol, Mahalo to you both for your time and recommendations. I put all eight of the spotted leopards and my male BD. :'( :'( :'( This may be it for me. I am disabled and it takes me months to save up for these beautiful creatures. Again Mahalo for everything and to all other members.

Aloha and Take Care of You and Yours, Ike & Anne Ninete