ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get wilds to form pairs

Default how to get wilds to form pairs

hello all, dilema i've had some wilds now in QT for a month now. no sighs of parasites, worms or slime loss to date. what i need to know is why aren't they pairing off ??? when i do partial w/c's i replace with r/o water at the moment they're in about 130 ms , all they're doing is butting heads,sides alittle biting lips , but no one seems to be interested in each other. ??? ??? ??? ??? question: could they be to old to foal. what could i do to try and form a possible pair.... thanks for listening........................jimS

Registered Member

Default Re:how to get wilds to form pairs

Jim,

You need to be patient. It sometimes takes months for wild discus to properly acclimate. Keep in mind they've never been in the tank before. Your water has a different chemical composition than they are used to. The food and it's source is new. Otherwords, give them time.

HTH,
    Oleg

lol, don't feel bad, i've had 8 rsg's for over a year now, i've had other fish pair off in the tank, but absolutely no luck with the wilds, they've shown no interest so far! soon hopefully .....soon.

If they're over their quarantine period try mixing in some domestic adults if you have them...at least if you get some half wild/half domestic pairups, you'll be able to get an idea of the sex of some of the fish...
    david

Registered Member

why not try pouring some of the water from a breeding pair into the wild's tank hehe crazee thought

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

[quote author=MonkeeFish link=board=22;threadid=15762;start=0#msg163051 date=1074666481]
    why not try pouring some of the water from a breeding pair into the wild's tank hehe crazee thought
    [/quote]

I've heard this before ... how is this supposed to work?

Jeff

Registered Member

try it , u dont have what to lose ...
    it wark's with altomes

lol, as for the water from breeding pairs....
    fish like most animals secrete hormones or feramones, whatever into the water. this will help perk up other fish. sometimes get them to form pairs or lay eggs.

i have done it successfully after switching the males of two pairs, as soon as i added water from the pair that just spawned, the other two came into the water i was adding looking for their old mates! well shortly after they began to lay their own eggs!

not sure if it'll help with wilds but it's worth a try. as well as dropping conductivity real low 40-50 and ph 5-6.5 from my knowledge. although i've seen wilds spawning in community tanks of 225ppm and 7.5ph!!!

all you can do is try, if one thing doesn't work try another, one at a time or all at once, you can try peat water, or cooler temp water.....

or the old standby
    barry white and candlelight... ;D

good luck
    mike

Registered Member

Jim,
    Did you think that maybe there has not been enough time yet? Or maybe that they could all be males?
    How do you know that even you have a pair in the tank?
    Do lots of w/c's 50% daily and then once or twice a week try 80% and see what happens.
    But I can tell you this much, if conditions are not correct, they will not spawn or even pair up.

Miles

miles, that's exactly what i'm trying to do. getting a pair to atleast form , as far as even thinking i have males and females i don't have a clue. there are 8 count'em 8 wilds in a 75 gal. bb tank water temp. 82 hardness around 50-60 ms, ph 5.5-6.0.feeding live cbw's .been in QT 6 weeks i guess i'll wait the out the next 2 weeks an be sure on parasites.i have proven males and female domestic's i'll try next hey thanks for all the responses

[quote author=limige link=board=22;threadid=15762;start=0#msg165400 date=1075347227]
    or the old standby
    barry white and candlelight... ;D

good luck
    mike
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

**Angie**

Registered Member

Just sit back like the rest of us and wait. When they reach maturity and they are ready they will select their own mate. I have a 180 galon tank filled with Wild Red Spotted Greens I am waiting on. Things look promising but there is nothing I can do to get them to do it any faster than nature.

Update:

Hey, I didn't do anything to my tank. Nothing added and nothing takened away. In fact my tank is very unclean (to me and you) because I didn't do water change in about 7 days!! But for some odd reasons, my Tangerines (Golden) pair layed eggs and so has my Wild Cobalt with a Wild Green! Go figure because I can't any more.

I'm off to go and clean tank now. **Angie**

Registered Member

have you thought about oysters, romantic music and mood lighting? ;D

Registered Member

what is a wild cobalt??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast