ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: hydro 5 as prefilter?

Default hydro 5 as prefilter?

I'm having trouble with two aquaclear 300's with double sponges on my 55 gl. I treated with formulin and lost the bio-load again. I do have fluval 2 sleeves as prefilters but I am trying a hydro 5 on the intake of one aquaclear 300 trying to get that to run the sponge and add more bacteria. Do you think that will work out good? Thanks, David T.

Default Re:hydro 5 as prefilter?

not sure how dense a hydro is but as long as the sponge doesn't cut the flow through the 300 you should be good

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi David:
    Two aqua clear 300's with double sponges should be enough filtration for a 55 gallon. If you want to run an extra airdriven sponge filter you can. The point of a prefilter is to trap debris that you can then quickly rinse off under chlorinated tap water. I wouldn't try to have a prefilter do double duty.

good point Carol
    I purposely kill all bio in my prefilter(floss & sponges) so it can be replaced as needed and it leaves no place for the bac' to grow but where I want it to....in my wet/dry.
    If you wanted to increase your bio...you should be able to run it with a 300....but you would have to rinse in tank water when needed.