AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: which kind of filter are u using?

Registered Member

Default which kind of filter are u using?

hi, i setup my tank one month ago. finally i have enough money to get them a proper filter.
    i have noticed that quite of a number of you are using sponge filter.
    some of you are using canister filter.
    i have attached the pic of my small tank. inside there are 6 discus. the tank is very small for 6 discus. to keep the ammonia level low, i do 50% water change daily. they seem very healthy but a bit skittish.
    i have plant in the tank, but on hte leaves there is dirt and slime. before considering getting a filter, i though the tank itself with plant inside forms a natural cycling system. the plant would absorb harmful substance. but it didtn' turn out as what i expected. Besides, everyone here recommend that a filtration system is a must. but i wonder what kind of filter i should get for my tank.
    if added in filter, will the tank become very cloudy all the time due to the dirt and slime?
    Thanks
    Caca

Registered Member

Default Re:which kind of filter are u using?

sorry for that irritating big size of my picture!1
    i dont know how to scale it down >

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

It will take any type of filter about 4 - 6 weeks to cycle in your tank. Don't stop the 50% (or more) daily water changes after purchase of the filter for two months!

Since money is an issue I would buy sponge filters or hang on the back filters like aqua clear.

What size tank do you have? We can help you pick out the right size filter.

Registered Member

Thanks Carol for always being there to help. :-*
    now money is not an issue. i have saved up enough to get relatively better filter. my tank is 2*1*1.5ft, around 22 gallon, which is kind of small for 6 discus. i will change another big tank when they grow bigger. Because i can't possibly get bigger tank now, i live in school hostel.
    i have read your stickies. u were talking about fishless cycle. but i have fishes inside.
    and i wonder how come i get so much dirt and slime on the plant, whereas others' tank are so clean and nice.

:P Caca

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Discus produce lots of waste and lots of slime. This is a very small tank. Things inside the tank take up space so it probably contains less than 20 gallons of water. An air driven sponge filter or a small hang on the back filter like an aqua clear 200 will work.

Registered Member

I personally like HOBs, they do a better job in larger, more heavily stocked tanks .