AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Purplish Tank Water

Registered Member

Default Purplish Tank Water

Hi

I am puzzled. My tank water lately has purplish colour. Water parameters are o.k. I suspect it could be from the sponge filters.

All my discus do not react at all to this new change.

Anyone has this experienced before?

Thx.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: Purplish Tank Water

Something in the tank is leaching color - what decorations do you have?

I had the same problem, not on all the tanks though. It clears up after a day. I put it down to PH fluctuation , temp or tank not fully cycle or bio crash. It happens after I do a big water change at night and in the morning some tanks turn pinkish. It does not affect the fish at all.

Purple Rain? If you have very young (tall) children, make sure they don't add any powdered candies into the tank. Or it could be your decorations in the tank, like addressed by Carol.
    --a--

Registered Member

Thank you Carol, Ronman and Spices for the prompt reply.

I dont have any decorations in the tank. Only the sponge filter. I did large water change as per normal. As suggested by ronman, it cud be because of the ph swing or bio crash, really I don't know.

Although I have 3 kids around in my place, I confirmed that they did not even touch the tank.The last water change I did was when they were away and before they come back, the water has changed to purplish color.

Another possibly, I found that the air tubing that is immediately after the air outlet of the air pump is very very black in color. It looked as if it has formed a thick soot in it. My immediate thinking is that the soot might be the culprit that emit some chemical reaction in the tank water. I intend to change it to a new tubing and see whether the problem could be solved.

I will inform you all of the progress after a new tubing is used.