AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rams

Default Rams

Any body know how many types of rams there are? Will they work with 2" discus? Easy to take care of? and How much are they?

If you know anything please help me. I am thinking about geting some for my new tank. If everything goes well id like to buy them from a local breeder in the hamilton toronto area. please help me.

Default Re: Rams

Bolivian rams are great with discus. they make excellent tankmates.
    I have 4 rams with my 6 discus.
    Rams r very entertaining. They r so fast like Ninja's
    Amol

Know where I can find some or know how I can read about them?

http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum/

go to this site to learn about rams...lots of info.
    Sincerely, Chris

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

There are two species of dwarf cichlids commonly refered to as "Rams" ...

- Microgeophagus ramerizi ... Blue Ram, a.k.a. "German" Blue (the German came from the reference to the location of successful breeding of superior rams ... I think?) ... Hybrid form includes the Gold Ram and the Longfinned Blue Ram, many of which are produced in SE Asia, and some claim are predominately sterile. The wild Blue Ram is found in Venezualia and Columbia in floodplains of the big rivers, and often live in small streams and ponds where temperatures can reach into the 90's (hence compatability with Discus). Blue Rams only live to between 1 and 3 years.

- Microgeophagus altispinosa ... Bolivian Ram ... from Brazil and Boliva. This is a larger dwarf (jumbo shrimp ...) which can grow to 5 inches ... very peaceful, I kept a 1/2 dozen with my discus for years. Less tolerant of high temperatures, they will do fine at 82 degrees.

I have had experience with both ... they make really good companions with discus. They are both easy to spawn.

Jeff

Jeff thank you for th detialed background answered what i was looking for. Thank you vary much.

Are rams vary easy to get to spawn and take care of?

We have three pairs of blue rams with our discus. At least one pair of the rams spawn on a weekly basis.

We were told our ph was to high for the eggs to hatch, and that they need low ph to survive, but in the planted tank, the eggs have been hatching and make it to the free swimming stage, before being eaten by other tankmates. The rams are good parents, and are very cute, friendly fish.

I just got 5 blue rams. they are vary active little fish. But my 1 fear is there all males is there a way they can be distingushed between oneanother?

Females are a bit smaller, and if you look close, they also have more of a red belly than the males (much more visible when they are about to spawn). It can be hard to tell at first, but look at them close.

so smaller and red bellies. anything else I need to know about rasing or anything . My grandma has never had discus to what i recall but shes a big time fish person with crubenzas and the rest but not discus. she said that they might bit the fins of my discus. Is it true or do they stick to there own thing and leave the discus alone. I bought them to lighten my discus up and make it easy for them to feel more comfterble.

I'll chime in with Chris and recomend simplycichlids.com. If you go to the link in my signature it will take you to a thread that helps illustrate the difference between males and females. Rams will do great with discus. They're not fin nippers. They will interact with discus, especially at first as they are curious, but I've found that after a while they keep to themselves. hth

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

I got in a group of about 25 German Blue Rams this fall and they have been a joy. I also have a group of 10 wild-caught blue rams that I got from Al last spring. All are quite compatable with Discus and have done well in my 150 with my Wild Browns.

When I had them in QT, they were breeding out of control. I had no fewer than 6 pairs after the first 3 weeks in QT.

They like clean water just like Discus and tend to ignore other species in the tank.

However, if you are just getting into Discus, I would keep the Rams separate for the time-being and concentrate on learning to keep your Discus healthy. This can eliminate many problems that people face when getting started.

JMHO

-Ryan
    Seek ye the truth and the truth will set you free.

Rams are very friendly Cichlids. I've never had any problems with them attacking other fish, including discus. They are fun to watch, especially when they have claimed their territory.

Once paired up they usually stay together for the rest of their lives. With the German Blue Rams the females have a red belly, whereas the males mostly have a second smaller black section in their dorsal fin.

I see How about food wize same thing as discus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast