ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Max temps for BN plecs?

Registered Member

Default Max temps for BN plecs?

I've got a pair of BN's in one of my Discus tanks. I'm currently running the temp at 83.5 but prefer to keep my Discus tanks at 86. Will these guys thrive in that kind of temp. I keep looking online and everything I see is in the low 80's. But i figure if their good Discus tankmates they must be able to withstand the temps right?

Registered Member

Default Re: Max temps for BN plecs?

I have them with my discus and my temp is 86 degrees.

Lee

Registered Member

There are several species of ancistrus (bushy-nose) plecos and I have not had a problem keeping them in tanks with high temps. I keep my discus tanks between 85 to 88 degrees. As long as you raise the temp a degree or two a day you won't have a problem. Keeping the ancistrus in the tank really cuts down on the maintenance too! Most people think about the algae--but the ancistrus also eat the discus slime that tends to build up on the tank surfaces.

best regards,
    Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

Temp is not so much of a problem for Loricarids, but Oxygen levels are. They didn't develop the suckermouth to eat algea . The purpose of the mouth is to hold themselves agaisnt the fast current of water from where they come.
    As long as there is enough oxygen in the water they will handle higher temps
    within reason.