ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemon Bristle Nose

Default Lemon Bristle Nose

I just bought the cutest lil guy, a black eyed lemon BN pleco! I'm told they get a little smaller than the standard ones, maturing at 4 inches or so. I think I like this guy, may go back for another! He's pretty small right now,around 1 inch, munching on zuchinni. I'm keeping him in the quarrantine tank with the Rummies I just bought. Anyone kept these before?
    Debbie G.
    planted 150 gal Discus, planted 10 gal cherry shrimp tank, 29 gal. rasbora and danio tank, 29 gal Praecox rainbow planted tank and an empty 29.Hmmmm!

Smile Re: Lemon Bristle Nose

Any photo to show for the Bristle nose nuts to drool ??

Default Re: Lemon Bristle Nose

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane
    I just bought the cutest lil guy, a black eyed lemon BN pleco! I'm told they get a little smaller than the standard ones, maturing at 4 inches or so. I think I like this guy, may go back for another! He's pretty small right now,around 1 inch, munching on zuchinni. I'm keeping him in the quarrantine tank with the Rummies I just bought. Anyone kept these before?
    No Lemons, but I recently got 2 Albinos, about 2 inches, who are just adorable. They are turning Lemon colored, though, I think because they are eating Tetra Bits, and of course they just LOVE Zucchini. They look pretty cool, yellow with red eyes!

Connie

David, no pics yet, later I hope!
    Connie, I originaly wanted albinos, but this guy was so yellow!! His little eyes are blue rimmed!
    Debbie G.
    planted 150 gal Discus, planted 10 gal cherry shrimp tank, 29 gal. rasbora and danio tank, 29 gal Praecox rainbow planted tank and an empty 29.Hmmmm!

Debbie, he sounds just beautiful. Wish I'd see those lil guys here. I do hope you can post pic!
    Connie

Hey does any body know a good place online to buy any lemon or albino bn?

I'm curios about the fish. Is it a wild caught L-144 or a domestic...
    Maybe I'll get a chance to order some from an exporter or a farm..
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

That's one question I did not ask, hope to post a pic Monday. I picked him up at a LFS here, nice place, all tanks on separate filters.
    Debbie G.

Well, this why we use QT protocall. My lil guy died, fins melted away and then bloody spots under the skin.
    Debbie G.

Awww, Debbie, I'm sorry to hear that. Poor lil guy.

Connie

Debbie,
    Sorry to hear about your loss. What is the temp in the QT tank? When I get anything from a LFS I make sure the temp in the QT tank is the same as the one at the LFS then I slowly turn the temp up a little each day until it matches mine. If I see any stress I turn the temp down a little and try again in a few days. If I see that they cannot take the temp I usually bring them back to the store cause all my tanks are set for discus. I hope this little bit of info helps next time. I also have an extra air stone going in my QT tank along with a sponge filter
    Frank

Whew, hadn't seen your reply Frank! It was the same as fish store, 76F.He wasn't to go in with the discus, was going to put him in my tank in the planning, with Praecox rainbows.
    Debbie G.

Registered Member

Debbie,
    Scaleless fish are extremely susceptable to ich, and what you describe sounds like it was caused by ich, even if you didn't see white spots. I would be leery of getting any more from that lfs, at least for awhile.

Larry

Poor guy, pleco's are also subseptable to worms. I had a batch of young bristlenose die off one by one and I couldn't figure out why until I saw the worms and dewormed the remaining bristlenose! One way I could tell they were under stress is that they look bleached out (bad sign if they turn really pale).

Also, they are sensitive to salt and some chemicals, low oxygen and changes in temp.

Also, see how filled out they are before purchasing (if they look skinny or emaciated look out). Knock on wood I purchased some longfins last week, and they are in quarantine fattening up on cucumber, spinich and algae wafers.

Tina

Thx for all the info folks, this is usually a good LFS, maybe just a poorly fish. I still want a couple of lemon plecos, but maybe I will seek them elsewhere. I haven't been back to the store to see how the others faired.
    Tina, which produst is good for worming them?
    Larry, just read an article in Aquarium Fish Magazine about ick in scaless fish, very interesting!!
    Debbie G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast