AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: new acrylic tank back is black any way to paint it?

Default new acrylic tank back is black any way to paint it?

i just bought a used 125 gal acrylic tank and the back panel is black is there any type of paint i can use on the inside of it to paint it a light color that is safe for the fish and will adhere to the plastic right?

Registered Member

Default Re: new acrylic tank back is black any way to paint it?

Not sure of what type of paint you could use..I would say that you could go to a paint store and ask them about paint for plastics.What I did to change the inside color of mine is I went to my local sign shop,the kind that custom makes signs.I got a piece of vinyl in the color that I wanted..then cut it to size.The vinyl is sort of sticky on one side so what you do is spray the inside of the tank with water that has a little dish washing detergent in it...that is to keep the vinyl loose so you can move it around...then you use a squeege to get the air bubbles out...once it drys it is there untill you want to change it,you can take a heat gun to get it off.

Hope this helps.

Mench

HI Brian,
    I've never heard of anyone doing this to black back tanks before but it sounds like a great idea. How long has your tank been set up this way? I'd be concerned about the water getting behind the vinyl and causing it to peal at the edges or corners. Has this happened with yours?

Kacey

does sound like a great idea to me also, but just in case is there any type of paint i can use still?

Registered Member

Hi, You can use any high grade marine epoxy paint and it is available in a large number of colors. I used it in a custom 43 gallon and it is fine, but make sure it is marine epoxy, do not use enamel as it will deteriorate and may have problems with you fish liking it. Also, you need to let it cure at least a couple of weeks. While it may be dry in a day, it should settle for longer than that, to fully bond permanently.

I, too, bought a used 125 gal. acrylic tank a year or more ago and I, too, wanted to change the background. I investigated every avenue and each option was potentially a problem. I decided to try the black as it was, and I love it! It really has the `WOW' factor, I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i ended up just leaving it black heres the photo of it and i also like it a lot and am glad i didnt end up changing it

It's beautiful, JP!

I hope this is a show tank only and not to be use as a breeding tank,from other simplydiscus friends, the frys are attracted to dark ,Thanks mike