ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: too much filtration ?

Default too much filtration ?

Hey Guys...is it too much filtration on my aquarium running 2 canister filters eheim does 168gph and fluval 90gph on a 125gl aquarium also a powerhead attached to 2 aqua clear quick filters ?????

Default Re: too much filtration ?

Quote Originally Posted by mike046 View Post
    Hey Guys...is it too much filtration on my aquarium running 2 canister filters eheim does 168gph and fluval 90gph on a 125gl aquarium also a powerhead attached to 2 aqua clear quick filters ?????
    you can never have to much filtration ...ok well there is a point where you can strip your water clean , but what you are using is just fine . some say you should have up to 10x the turn over of the size of tank you have .... so if you have a 125 gal , then 1,200 GPH is what you would want to try for .... i can tell you i am running about 600 GPH on a 55 gal tank . and thats seems to be more than enough

Ken
    Last edited by kenhappen2u; 11-15-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

You can never have too much filtration as long as it doesn't cause too much turbulance in the tank.
    Scott

Registered Member

As long as the fish have no problem swimming, eating, and making their way around then overfiltration is never a problem.

(Oh, and as for stripping your water clean, I do not think that would be a bad thing! haha)

Registered Member

i'am running a fluval 404, emperor 400, UV sterilizer(24V) and a overflow filter system thats pumps 390gph(with 30gal sump) all in a 100gal tank with 27 discus and waters pretty clear

i'am running a fluval 404, emperor 400, UV sterilizer(24V) and a overflow filter system thats pumps 390gph(with 30gal sump) all in a 100gal tank with 27 discus and waters pretty clear
    Damn T, how big are the discus?

I don't think there is such a thing as too much filtration, maybe too much turbulance.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."