AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: lazy, floating manzanita..

IN TIME OUT!
    Real Name
    DaviderumnAJ

Default lazy, floating manzanita..

How long does it take for the wood to get soaked in water & finally sink? I ordered some rather large pieces (30"+ and some 4-5" thick). Anyways, I boiled them...or most of them by the piece, have them floating 3-4 days in separate tanks and finally dump them in my 300 gal tank. Some of the larger pieces have been floating there 5 days & I'm running out of patience. I would hate to weight them down, since this might take some of the natural look away...but what choice do I have? Anybody else had problems with stubborn manzanita wood?

Default Re: lazy, floating manzanita..

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheDan View Post
    How long does it take for the wood to get soaked in water & finally sink? I ordered some rather large pieces (30"+ and some 4-5" thick). Anyways, I boiled them...or most of them by the piece, have them floating 3-4 days in separate tanks and finally dump them in my 300 gal tank. Some of the larger pieces have been floating there 5 days & I'm running out of patience. I would hate to weight them down, since this might take some of the natural look away...but what choice do I have? Anybody else had problems with stubborn manzanita wood?
    Is there any way to position other pieces over the big pieces to prevent them from floating. I had to do that with a few of my pieces and after about a week they all sank.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

You may have to weigh them down but it would be temporary. Whatever you do, please post pics!

Steve

I tied my pieces with an air stone, after my wood was boiled and let it float for a week ... After a week with the air stone, I cut the fishing line that was securing it and it and it's been good since.

Good luck and post pics!

Tito

Here is my order in the water.

This is what I'm weighing them down with - thanks Ed for the timeline.