AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Buying discus of different sizes?

Registered Member

Default Buying discus of different sizes?

Can somebody give me their opinion about buying 4 or 6 discus of different sizes (for example: 2.5 inches with 3 inches and with 4 inches, and so on) and put them together in a 55gallons, with bare bottom and no plants? What is the recommendation regarding this subject?

I have a 3 inches leopard with my angelfish (in another 55) because he was aggressively bullying the other discus I have which is a 2-2.5 inches marlboro red. I left the marlboro red alone in another 55gallons!

Registered Member

Default Re: Buying discus of different sizes?

I recently purchased 12 Discus varying from 2.5 - 4 inches and I found the 2.5 were very skittish around the larger fish. I had to eventually spilt them up since the small fish were only getting the left over’s at meal time and fell behind in their growth. If I were to do it all over again, I would have separated them from the beginning. Since the little ones are about a month behind in their development now.
    Jerry

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

I agree I like to keep fish of the same size together.

Registered Member

Jerry and Dan, thanks to both of you!

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

I would like to keep the same size fish too, but I havnt in my tanks. its always been a mix of 3.5s 4s and 5 inchers when I get them in. everyone gets along fine over here. size hasnt caused any bullying or fighting. but 2 discus together and only 2 will lead to major bullying, I dont think it has to do with the size in ur circumstance. I feel that unless its a pair, 2 discus, especially juvies will just battle. one will make the other its b***h. lol, just what I have noticed.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Registered Member

How many discus total do you have together? If you only had 2 in the same tank that could be the problem. Most like to keep at least 5. Sometimes 4 works but seldom does 2 or 3 work unless the 2 are a pair. Don T.

Real Name
    Ricardo

if you have no other tank to put them in then maybe consider a tank divider? i wouod imagine that would do the trick

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

As with just about any fish, as long as they're fed well and often, you shouldn't have a problem, especially when combining them in larger numbers. The important thing to remember is that short term responses to being mixed are not necessarily indicators of how successful (or not) things will be long term. You can expect, for instance, a certain amount of pecking, bumping, jostling for the first couple of weeks as a pecking order develops. The only problem you'd really have to resolve is if one or more fish are solidly at the bottom of the pecking order and ALL of the other fish pick at them constantly to the point where they are unable to feed, or simply live in peace. It's most prudent to add them a) all at once or b) smallest ones first. Adding much smaller fish to a tank of established, larger individuals can be a recipe for disaster. Currently, my largest discus are pushing 4" and the smallest is maybe just topping 2½". With only 4 in the tank, still no problems. I feed a minimum of 6 cubes of frozen per day, with flakes fed before the frozen goes in. No problems at all. Now, I'm not looking at adding any more 2" discus, I think that window has passed. But my next additions will be around the 3" mark or larger, just waiting for them to come in.