AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Ottos on attack mode

Registered Member

Default Ottos on attack mode

HI everyone. I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium which I just introduced 5 discus. Everything seems to be going fine until I noticed today that the otos would sometime "nibble" on the discus. No harm seems to be done except for the discus being very irritated. Is this harmless? Or should I take the ottos out of the tank.

Registered Member

Default Re: Ottos on attack mode

Just watch out. They tend to eat the slime coat from discus especially once the lights are off. It happened to mine when there wasnt enought algae for the ottos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj75 View Post
    HI everyone. I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium which I just introduced 5 discus. Everything seems to be going fine until I noticed today that the otos would sometime "nibble" on the discus. No harm seems to be done except for the discus being very irritated. Is this harmless? Or should I take the ottos out of the tank.

I agree. Keep a good watch. If they continue, I'd remove them. Replace your clean-up crew with bushynose plecos, snails, or shrimp. True Siamese Algae Eaters work well too.

Pull them out, once they get a taste, it never ending.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Thanks guys. Will try to get them out asap. Not an easy job though. These little buggers are quick.

Real Name
    Walter

I once had a brown female discus that wouldn't let an oto get on her (although it tried). She's flare open her gills and try to bite the oto back! I wish I had my camcorder back then.

Walter
    Walter

Real Name
    Walter

Thanks guys. Will try to get them out asap. Not an easy job though. These little buggers are quick.
    Sometimes its easier to catch them (as well as other fish) after the lights have gone out for awhile and they've gone asleep.

Walter
    Walter

The issue is not the otos, but instead the lack of food. The same thing can happen with SAEs, plecos and others. If there is a lack of food for them they can tend to attach themselves to discus. Try adding some vegetables or algae wafers and I'm sure they would be less interested in the discus.

How many ottos are in the tank?
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.