ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Fun Begin

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Let the Fun Begin

After a week of prep work I have my new (used) Oceanic 100 gallon in my living room. It has no water yet. The sump is in the cabinet and bulkheads are hooked up so the tank is ready for it's inside leak tests. I spent last weekend cleaning tank and sump and the last week cleaning and clear coating the cabinet.

Next is inside leak tests and then sand and bio-media for the sump. The lights are on order. I'm have some Manzanita driftwood coming (this week I hope). Here's a picture of the tank. It has a black background and is drilled on both sides. It will be another week or so before I can do any aqua-scaping.

I believe this will make a killer discus tank. It's dimensions are 60x17x22 so it has good length and height. I will be moving the contents of my 46 bow front which will include plants (vals and swords), some cardinal tetras, rummy nose and three corys. The plants should give me a jump start on the cycling process but I'm in no rush. Here is picture (not a great one).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00000529812409

Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Let the Fun Begin

Filled the tank and sump tonight and no leaks I will let it run overnight and check in the morning. Still need to find some bio-media. I struck out trying to find pot scubbies. Maybe Target or Walmart. I did get 100 lbs of pool filter sand so will rinse that tomorrow night.

Setting up a new tank is so much fun. I hope you have zero leaks and can post a better picture soon.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hag View Post
    Setting up a new tank is so much fun. I hope you have zero leaks and can post a better picture soon.
    Thanks Sea Hag, no leaks this morning woo hoo. Need to find the camera That is a horrible picture.

When I setup my 95 gallon wave planted/discus tank, I knew it was going to be a special tank. The substrate is thriving with roots, the fish are happy, the cleaning crew is doing a wonderful job!

The first day of filling the tank was the most nerve wracking as you mention regarding leaks. But once it sat for 2 days, I knew it was ready for the substrate and plants. Then 4 weeks later, I added the cleaning crew and then one week later the discus arrived.

I hope you have as much fun as I am.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Looking good I am setting up a 120 gallon tank right now. Dimensions are 60x18x24 and I am building my own 30 gallon sump using a overflow box on the tank. I have been taking pics of the progress which seems to be going really slow. Can't wait to see some pics when you get it up and running with a lot of discus in it.

Good Luck
    Sean

Registered Member Discus master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    Looking good I am setting up a 120 gallon tank right now. Dimensions are 60x18x24 and I am building my own 30 gallon sump using a overflow box on the tank. I have been taking pics of the progress which seems to be going really slow. Can't wait to see some pics when you get it up and running with a lot of discus in it.

Good Luck
    Sean
    I am going to be getting a 110 and I have a 30 gallon all glass tank I wanted to use as my sump, what are your plans on how to build it? I would love some help with this as I have no idea how to build one. I have been learning the fundimentals about how they work and how over flow boxes work so I think I have that down. But I was told attaching something like plexi glass to the glass sides of the tank will be very hard to do that I will have to get sheets of glass cut for my sump and then use that. I did not really want to have to go that far with it but I guess I would if the cost was reasonable. Pus I would have to get my measurements perfect so its fits snug before I could seal it in. So any help would be great you can pm me with the plans if you like?? thanks in advance.
    So Many Discus, Not Enough Tanks!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    The first day of filling the tank was the most nerve wracking as you mention regarding leaks.
    I was on pins and nettles last night and it takes a while to fill a 100 gallon. Almost like waiting for a baby to be born.

Real Name
    Pat

Good Luck
    Sean
    Thanks Sean, good luck with your 120. Go slow and do it right. It will be worth it in the run. Do you have a thread with your progress and pictures?

My tank is a used tank and came with a sump (wet/dry), stand, canopy and a few odds and ends. The sump it came with is not the greatest but it will get the job done I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thanks Sean, good luck with your 120. Go slow and do it right. It will be worth it in the run. Do you have a thread with your progress and pictures?

My tank is a used tank and came with a sump (wet/dry), stand, canopy and a few odds and ends. The sump it came with is not the greatest but it will get the job done I hope.
    Not yet but that is why I am taking all the pics. I have also built my own stand which is done just have to sand it then start staining it. Tonight I plan on plumbing in everything with pvc pipe. I am going BB with tile on the floor of the tank. My other 92 gallon corner tank has substrate and canister filters. Which to me seems like to much work cleaning all the time.

Are you putting substrate in your tank?

Real Name
    Pat

Not yet but that is why I am taking all the pics. I have also built my own stand which is done just have to sand it then start staining it. Tonight I plan on plumbing in everything with pvc pipe. I am going BB with tile on the floor of the tank. My other 92 gallon corner tank has substrate and canister filters. Which to me seems like to much work cleaning all the time.

Are you putting substrate in your tank?
    Yea, pool filter sand. I sort of have to, the tank is in the living room. I'm waffling on whether I want to bother with plants. If I do might build up the sand where the plants are but shallow everywhere else.

Yea, pool filter sand. I sort of have to, the tank is in the living room. I'm waffling on whether I want to bother with plants. If I do might build up the sand where the plants are but shallow everywhere else.
    Not me I am getting to lazy for all that. My brothers 220 gallon tank is BB with a sump and all I hear is how much easier it is then a decorated tank. So for once I will listen and try it. Good luck will be looking forward to seeing some finished pics.

Sean

yeah, someone elses!
    I was on pins and nettles last night and it takes a while to fill a 100 gallon. Almost like waiting for a baby to be born.
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLover65 View Post
    yeah, someone elses!
    LOL

Real Name
    Pat

Still no leaks and have 50 lbs of sand in the tank. Might be enough. I see Kenny is posting a preview of his Oct shipment...drool, drool

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast