ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Dispenser

NZ_Discus

Question Automatic Dispenser

I'm planning to create a fully automatic water changing system, as in "fully". Before my tap water reaches the aquarium/s it needs to be dosed with certain additives I like to put in e.g. 6.5 ph(keeps the ph at 6.5) and API Stress-coat (proven to take out 40% of stress from fish). In order to achieve an automatic system I need something to dose the water containers (containers before they got to the aquariums).
    Does any of you know of a product Im talking about?
    I have seen some timeable liquid dosers but I also need one for solids.

Registered Member

Default Re: Automatic Dispenser

why not try an auto feeder with your additive in it?

NZ_Discus

I might... But it needs exact (up to 1 ml deviation). I don't think that automatic feeders handles fine materials (it's like flour). But ill try looking.

Why not use good clean water? Why on God's earth would you want to add a chemical to keep your pH at 6.5 when Discus do well in a wide range of pH? Stress Coat is snake oil. You are turning something easy into something unnecessairly complicated.
    Mama Bear

NZ_Discus

Because if I don't add a the 6.5 ph my tap water would have a 7.2 ph and last time I checked discus are acidic fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_Discus View Post
    Because if I don't add a the 6.5 ph my tap water would have a 7.2 ph and last time I checked discus are acidic fishes.
    7.2 is fine, some keep them with a PH around 8. And yes, discus from the wild are found in acidic waters but domestic discus are from their wild nature. They've been raised for generations in hard water. So unless you are going wild caught, don't mess with your PH by adding chemicals.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I have had domestic discus in 7.8 PH for 11 months now and they are doing great. Not growing as fast or as big as I would like but that is a nother issue that I believe I know the answer to.

The city water that Rod and I use has a PH of 7.5 and a TDS of 150 ppm. We use it straight from the tap and all we add is SAFE. Our fish spawn regularly and grow very well. Keep it simple ! Problems arise when messing with PH and TDS.

Bob

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by BOBT00LS View Post
    The city water that Rod and I use has a PH of 7.5 and a TDS of 150 ppm. We use it straight from the tap and all we add is SAFE. Our fish spawn regularly and grow very well. Keep it simple ! Problems arise when messing with PH and TDS.

Bob
    here here.

I agree with everyone use the good old K.I.S.S. method and it will all be fine.
    Dont get tricked into voodoo items LFS push on you most of it is just as stated snake oil! JMO
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

NZ_Discus

Actually a breeder/friend (probably in the top 3 best breeder in the whole NZ) taught me about Stress-coat those two things I mentioned above are the only things I put in my aquarium.

NZ_Discus

I looked at some Strees-coat reviews and none of them was negative. People often compares it with prime (seachem) and it can be used as a water conditioner.
    Do you guys think that peat is good for lowering ph? I hace read that it releases a small amount of metals and tannins (I don't really care about tannins because it's natural anyway). Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_Discus View Post
    I looked at some Strees-coat reviews and none of them was negative. People often compares it with prime (seachem) and it can be used as a water conditioner.
    Do you guys think that peat is good for lowering ph? I hace read that it releases a small amount of metals and tannins (I don't really care about tannins because it's natural anyway). Any suggestions?
    Sure, peat can soften your water and bring down your PH. Are you trying to breed? If not, there is no need for peat either.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Keep it simple unless you want to breed and need a more controlled environment to reach your goals; otherwise, you're just throwing away good money.

NZ_Discus

I'm planning to breed next year. I'm just currently learning. I'm gonna start with some leopards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast