ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hatchet fish experiences

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Hatchet fish experiences

Hi all,

I know hatchet fishes are good tankmates for discus. I am considering adding them to my 80g tank with wild Cuipeuas, but I would like to know about people experiences with them. First, about their tendency to jump. My tank has a glass cover, but when I had them a long time ago they used to jump during water changes, often a headache. Second, some folks have reported here in the forum that they are fragile and often die. I would appreciate if you could share your experiences with them. Thanks in advance.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Default Re: Hatchet fish experiences

Mauro, they are jumpers and will always jump when frightened...during WC, feeding, sudden movement, etc. You will just have to keep an eye on them. As for being fragile, the marble are more so than silver hatchets. In my experience it's better to buy a group and keep them in a separate tank ie 20g tank and get them acclimated before putting in the show tank. I experienced usually 50% mortality rates with the marbles but the ones that made it thru the first few weeks did well.
    Mark

I had 20 marbles and they either jumped or died. No more hatchets for me.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    Mauro, they are jumpers and will always jump when frightened...during WC, feeding, sudden movement, etc. You will just have to keep an eye on them. As for being fragile, the marble are more so than silver hatchets. In my experience it's better to buy a group and keep them in a separate tank ie 20g tank and get them acclimated before putting in the show tank. I experienced usually 50% mortality rates with the marbles but the ones that made it thru the first few weeks did well.
    Thank you, Mark. That is good info, more promising about the silver hatchets. I am considering getting some

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    I had 20 marbles and they either jumped or died. No more hatchets for me.
    Sorry to hear that, YSS Really sounds that marbles are more difficult to keep.

Jumpers,mine ended up as cat toys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.