ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90 Gallon Planted Tank

Registered Member

Default 90 Gallon Planted Tank

I have converted my 90 gallon oscar tank tank to a planted tank. For filtration I have 2 fluval 405s, a whisper60 and it has a wet dry sump filter as well. It now has a school of bloodfin tetras, some julli cory cats and 4 albino bristlenose plecos. My water paramters are 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 80 nitrate, ph 7.6, temp 83, GH 180, KH 40. Some people say not to mess with ph others say to bring it down to 7.0 what do u guys think? I will be getting tank raised discus in feb and was wondering how difficult it will be to keep young discus healthy in this type of setup. Im basically going for a display tank here no intentions of breeding. Any advice? Thank You

Default Re: 90 Gallon Planted Tank

It wont be easy with young ones.. Get at least 4".. Then u will be ok
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

All the ones my guy carries are between 3 and 4 in.

Largeris better.. Now all those fancy accessories dont mean u get out of doing regular water changes.. Bb is much easier due to less varianles.. Planted are difficult.. Jus be aware
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

IMHO I wouldn't worry about a pH of 7.6. heck my Discus are thriving in 8.2!!! so long as it consistent.
    and ditto the bare bottom advice!
    interestingly, when I removed my gravel (which I vaccumed regularly), I was AMAZED & sickened at how much crap was still in it. I liken it to having pets with carpet in a house, vs hardwood flooring LOL (I hate carpet!).
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Quote Originally Posted by Dakxx1974 View Post
    I have converted my 90 gallon oscar tank tank to a planted tank. For filtration I have 2 fluval 405s, a whisper60 and it has a wet dry sump filter as well. It now has a school of bloodfin tetras, some julli cory cats and 4 albino bristlenose plecos. My water paramters are 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 80 nitrate, ph 7.6, temp 83, GH 180, KH 40. Some people say not to mess with ph others say to bring it down to 7.0 what do u guys think? I will be getting tank raised discus in feb and was wondering how difficult it will be to keep young discus healthy in this type of setup. Im basically going for a display tank here no intentions of breeding. Any advice? Thank You
    I wouldn't worry about pH either.

There's a lot of people who have tried young discus plant combination. It usually ends in failure or delusion. I'm amazed by how much crap is on the bottom of my BB tank with just discus and plecos.

If you go planted, start your discus out in a BB tank first and grow them out before putting them in the 90G.

Also, are your plants meant for the higher temps? I know even my 'high' temp plants ended up doing better after I removed the Discus and brought the temperatuer to 75+F versus the 82-84F I had it when I had Discus in them.
    Eric

btw, I can't remember how big bloodfin tetras are, but my Discus liked their adult cardinal tetra snack.
    Eric

All sounds fine but your nitrate readins sound very high especially in a planted tank. What is your water source like and do you intend using ro? My nitrates never stray above 10. I think your discus may be a little uncomfortable in that level of nitrate.
    Tom

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

Oh, I missed that! Nitrates are on the high side. I had to actively dose my planted tank. I did it at about 5-10ppm daily and the first few weeks I did it, I checked nitrates daily and it was always zero by next day.
    Eric

Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice. My LFS thinks I should play with ph to bring it closer to 7 and says to do very few water changes and only in sm amounts. Which is exactly the opposite of all the advice online and in books. The big reason Im waiting so long to add the discuss is to get all my water paramters stable and let the plants really take hold and grow. The discus that my lfs carries are from hans stendecker. Anyone have any experience with those lines?

IMO buy directly from Hans. and don't go by the LFS advice......(I learned this the hard way). read up on this forum, do a search on "pH", water changes, and whatever else you may be questioning. I'm new to Discus too, and have learned LOADS just reading here! my Discus are thanking me
    -Trish

I had to actively dose my planted tank.
    Eric what did you 'dose' with? (curious)
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how much I have to learn." ~Charles Schultz

-Trish

Please don't take advice from your LFS. They don't know discus and probably don't know plants. It is rare to find someone in a LFS that actually knows from experience what they are talking about. Ask your questions here. Also agree with buying directly from Hans or any of the vendors...don't go through your LFS.

Most important thing about ph for any fish...unless you are breeding or they are wild caught...is consistency. Don't add a bunch of crap to your water....just let it be.

Registered Member

Reading everything I can get my hands on as well as sifting through the forums online trying to find the best practices for planted discus display tanks. I have been keeping fish for over 20 years and have succesfully kept many different kinds of tanks including reef tanks and now I have decided to try something that seems even harder lol. I'm looking to get myself and the tank on a a schedule as if the discus were already in it so when I do finally add them it shopuld not come as a shock to me. What would be a good number to start with I was thinking between 5 and 7.

Registered Member

I'm glad about the dont add stuff response in my expirience when u go messing with PH etc you end up doing more harm than good. The biggest issue I had was when he said very sm and infrequent water changes that just did not jive with all the other info out there.

Most people who have never done it....think doing really large water changes is harmful. Lots of people on here do frequent 90-100% water changes....the discus love them. Your plants won't though. Thus the cunundrum. I have seen some people do it successfully. I think you have to be clear in your own mind what your goal is. I was having some decent success with my last batch and just minimally planted with some swords and anubias...no CO2.
    They were growing well,and healthy...then lost power for 10 days in October snowstorm and lost them all.
    You are not going to get the big, huge guys you see some people on here have. But I think personally you can have nice, decent sized healthy and happy discus in a planted tank. You just have to work at it, get the biggest fish you can as that will help a lot and have an already established planted tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast