ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New member here!

Default New member here!

Hey all I'm starting my first discus tank this friday and pretty excited! I was doing intense research for months before I even considered purchasing them. I have 5 Juvies coming to me on friday. I always came here to browse the simply discus forum to have most, if not all my questions on discus keeping answered . I decided it was time to join as my would be tank is finally going to see action on friday. Just thought I'd take time to introduce myself here. Hopefully when I go to pick them up I can post some pics later on. I'm sure I'll meet other keepers on this forum to pass down their knowledge. Anywho in the mean time anybody recommend a good dry food? I have some omega one flakes but I was looking at hikari bio gold pellets and ocean nutrition discus flakes. They both seem good, any feedback is appreciated!

- Mario

Default Re: New member here!

Welcome Mario! You have come to the right place to have your questions answered! As for a dry food, i like to feed freeze dried black worms. I but them from Al in the sponsor section.
    Hope this helps,
    Sam

I used omega products for a while but now use Ocean Nutrition Formula One "Flakes" and Hikari Blood worms. It has low Phosphorous and appears to have good stuff. The only trouble I had at first was making sure I didnt over feed. If your fish dont eat everything in a few min then you could risk algae. I had no trouble with algae and the omega products. IMO the fish look and eat better on Ocean Nutrition so I use it.
    Last edited by 4discus; 01-11-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Welcome to Simply, Mario! I feed Beef Heart Flake which I get from Bill who is a sponsor here on Simply plus a multitude of other things including FDBW from Al. Can't wait to see pictures of your discus.

Mishka

Registered Member bassmasterrob's Avatar

welcome im new to and cant wait to get my first pair of discus

Thanks all...unfortunately The discus that i'm supposed to receive tomorrow are going to be held off for a bit. I bought mine from rocky mountain discus (Al the breeder is an extremely nice man by the way) and up where he is located there's a storm heading, So by next week I should be receiving them if all is well. I look forward to posting picks and talking to more members!