AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Phones

Registered Member

Default Re: Smart Phones

Guess I'm lucky. I don't own a cell phone. My kids think I'm s dinosaur.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Jay
    Jay I wish my mom and both sets of inlaws were like you. I really worry about them getting scammed or identity theft victims. My dad when he was alive was a victim of this stuff. I had a heck of a time keeping him safe from further Identity Thefts. Out of all my parents and inlaws I have one thats tech savy but even she could probably be fooled by some financial scams.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I think the movement of scams/spam making it's way to smart phones is, in part, demographic. In short, older people have these phones now and so it has become a target rich environment with additional flavors of scamming because of the ability to spoof and what-not. And it's happened rapidly. One of my sets of grandparents had dialup and an answering machine service that allowed for voice mails to be left on their computer if you called when they were online. She had a smart phone towards the end of her life, but never really used it for anything other than taking calls. My last living grandparent has a smart phone, broadband, etc. They've all actually been pretty enthusiastic adopters of technology, but it's undeniable that they're more apt to fall for these types of scams than others. I just flat out don't believe anything I hear or read in general, let alone on the internet. It was a different deal when people born in the 30s were growing up.

Regarding spam calls, though, I'd be more than happy to subscribe to a phone plan in which I cannot receive incoming phone calls at this point. But I'm awkward and extremely socially anxious, so maybe I'm an outlier. If you want to talk to me, shoot me a text and I'll call you when I have time. All my phone calls tend to be the local blood center because I haven't donated for awhile, robo calls for who knows what, and people asking me if I'm selling bees. I don't want to talk to any of those people.
    Just block and send to voicemail everybody that is not on your contacts list. This pic is on the Iphone but Android has something similar. I know AT&T has an app for that.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 101547.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Brian

what gets me though is when people actually voluntarily give others access to their data and privacy. case
    in point the number of people globally that are volunteering to be microchipped... its shocking to me that this is becoming "normal".
    When I think of these people volunteering to be chipped, I can't help but be truly concerned about the future of society...

terminator.jpg

I think the microchipping is mostly in 3rd world countries so far. Heck if you are having a hard time getting enough food to eat and you're offered $50 if you get a microchip it seems like a good deal.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    When I think of these people volunteering to be chipped, I can't help but be truly concerned about the future of society...

terminator.jpg
    Artificial Intelligence is coming your way.... Whether we like it or not. It can be good, bad and ugly all in one.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I think the microchipping is mostly in 3rd world countries so far. Heck if you are having a hard time getting enough food to eat and you're offered $50 if you get a microchip it seems like a good deal.
    nope.

https://www.govtech.com/blogs/lohrma...ochip-implants

https://cphpost.dk/2015-02-06/news/m...smart%20phones.

Screenshot_20240515-134850.jpg

https://www.govtech.com/blogs/lohrma...-could-be-next

Screenshot_20240515-135053.jpg

granted the stated purpose is good.. the use though...hnmm
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-15-2024 at 01:53 PM.

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

AH the good old days,I went to a radio shack & as i paid the bill the guy says DO YOU WANT A FREE PHONE. I have a track phone flip top COST $80 a year. Land line i still have a ans. machine & delete any robo calls & blocked a 100 of them. AH THE GOOD OL DAYS.

Real Name
    Tom

This type of info from you talking has been going on for years with smart phones. Also the scams are just a given with cell and home phones. The shame of this is it could all be stopped. Nobody in government cares. Shame how many elderly people have lost their savings because of the scams. Funny thing is (and I know we’re not supposed to be political) Trump wanted to stop this. Just for the reason he hated it himself! Ever here of another politician even bring it up? Me I don’t answer any of my phones. Leave a message. If the message could possibly be a scam it is!! Next is charge cards. There are devices people can just walk past you with and retrieve your number. My wife’s Master card # was stolen twice last year. Master card absorbed the fees that were charged. My MIL debit card # was also stolen. Only place she used it was at the grocery store. Bank also absorbed the charges. Makes you wonder how they’re able to absorb these charges? If you hold a credit card with the chip in it. Consider yourself microchipped already. I have 1 charge card for emergencies. I pay cash for everything. Also if I can’t pay cash I can’t afford it . Oh and yes you can be tracked by that chip.
    Was in a restaurant recently that didn’t accept cash! How is this even legal? Next all restaurants charge 3% more if you use a charge card. Yes you’re paying their fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    This type of info from you talking has been going on for years with smart phones. Also the scams are just a given with cell and home phones. The shame of this is it could all be stopped. Nobody in government cares. Shame how many elderly people have lost their savings because of the scams. Funny thing is (and I know we’re not supposed to be political) Trump wanted to stop this. Just for the reason he hated it himself! Ever here of another politician even bring it up? Me I don’t answer any of my phones. Leave a message. If the message could possibly be a scam it is!! Next is charge cards. There are devices people can just walk past you with and retrieve your number. My wife’s Master card # was stolen twice last year. Master card absorbed the fees that were charged. My MIL debit card # was also stolen. Only place she used it was at the grocery store. Bank also absorbed the charges. Makes you wonder how they’re able to absorb these charges? If you hold a credit card with the chip in it. Consider yourself microchipped already. I have 1 charge card for emergencies. I pay cash for everything. Also if I can’t pay cash I can’t afford it . Oh and yes you can be tracked by that chip.
    Was in a restaurant recently that didn’t accept cash! How is this even legal? Next all restaurants charge 3% more if you use a charge card. Yes you’re paying their fee.
    Funny thing is (and I know we’re not supposed to be political) Trump wanted to stop this. Just for the reason he hated it himself! Ever here of another politician even .bring it up?
    then dont bring it up. .. incidentally President Bush was the one that actually did something other than talk about it...

Tuesday, September 30, 2003 Posted: 11:39 AM EDT (1539 GMT)

FCC vows enforcement
    Story Tools
    more videoVIDEO
    President Bush signs a bill approving the 'Do Not Call' list.
    premium content
    PLAY VIDEO
    Even though Bush signed the do not call registry into law, controversy still surrounds the measure. CNN's Fred Katayama reports
    premium content
    PLAY VIDEO
    RELATED
    Interactive: How the 'do-not-call' list works
    The Morning Grind: Crunch-numbers time for '04 Dems
    • FTC to appeal court decision
    YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    Do-Not-Call

Telemarketing

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Amid ongoing legal battles, President Bush signed into law Monday a bill giving the Federal Trade Commission the authority to administer a new do-not-call registry -- a move opposed by telemarketers.

Bush said the move was necessary to cut down on "intrusive, annoying, unwelcome telephone solicitations."

"The American people should be free to restrict these calls," Bush added.
    Trump on the other hand let telecommunication companies have their way under the FCC with junk like Net neutrality.
    See theres a really good reason why we dont bring up Politics Tom.. odds are at least half of us think the other sides useless.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-15-2024 at 04:42 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

oh and Biden did this..

Meanwhile the Biden administration is also looking to take on an issue it says has cost veterans and their families more than $414 million: fraud and scams.

“Last year, there were 93,000 fraud claims against vets and their families,” Tanden said. “We have to say, it's truly outrageous that people would target veterans who have served our country.”

In response, the president is launching a Veteran Scam and Fraud Evasion task force that will release a toolkit with tips on preventing such events; post video teaching veterans about different types of fraud; designate the Federal Trade Commission to act as the head recipient on reports from veterans on fraud and more. It will also seek to hear directly from those who served, conducting 10 listening sessions in highly targeted areas and issuing a call for information on veterans' experiences buying cars – which the Federal Trade Commission has identified as an experience with heightened risk of fraud.

I dont think any Sitting President want to have Americans scammed.. its bad optics... unfortunately politics rarely moves fast for either party... and often times whats said is far from whats done.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Jay
    Al, the reason I don't have a smart phone is not because of scams, I can spot them a mile away. It's
    because I think They have dumbed down our society. What do I mean by this, well when I go out
    to the store, nature trails, people walking on our road or the doctors office they are all focus on
    their phones . No body personally talks to another person and never mind are kids. They spend
    it seems looking at there phones continually and I think it's start to be recognized as a problem
    by the government.Also, why all of a sudden do we have be connected 24/7 to the world?
    Jay

ct.

Real Name
    Tom

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/31/polit...robo-call-bill

“Odds are at least half of us think the other sides useless” these days I do believe both side are useless.
    “And often times what’s said is far from what’s done” so true and mostly said for votes.

Real Name
    Willie

If you have an Alexa and Siri device in your house, it's the same as getting chipped. These gadgets listen in on your conversation and spams you with ads for everything and anything you discussed. Alexa has been measured to update its server with your information every 15 seconds when they're on.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    If you have an Alexa and Siri device in your house, it's the same as getting chipped. These gadgets listen in on your conversation and spams you with ads for everything and anything you discussed. Alexa has been measured to update its server with your information every 15 seconds when they're on.
    I once read about a couple having sex and Alexa started laughing

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast