AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am weak...

Registered Member

Default I am weak...

Went to buy some small tank mates for my discus, looking for checkerboard cichlids, apistos, cory's, plecos etc.

.......came home with these guys:

I just couldn't walk past! They're bred here in Finland by someone who has a good reputation and lots of positive reviews. I've never seen such nice discus in a fish store before. I know it's more of a risk than buying directly from the breeder. But they look better than any of my other fish and have already started eating. They will be very carefully quarantined.

445382865_812749980786600_3111357231534147935_n.jpg

440914588_982654663526177_4245033720362775158_n.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I am weak...

They are super nice Johanna and sounds like you are going about things right with a quarantine period for these guys.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

We're all weak, lol...

Nice discus!!

If I had seen them I have no doubt I would have done the same. The discus force is strong in all of us and our will to resist is weak.

Enjoy the new fish.. they are beautiful I absolutely love Red Turqs.

I think though you jinxed yourself in another thread where you said you werent interested in breeding. Those fish may have other ideas
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I agree with everyone. They're beautiful fish. They seem confused by their reflection in the bottom of the tank.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you, everyone I'm very happy with these fish and really, REALLY hope everything will go well for them.

Alas, I've already run into a possible problem. It looks like the cycle isn't quite able to deal with two big discus. I'm getting small amount of nitrites. (The tank's been running empy since I disinfected everything a couple of months ago and I've just added fish food every now and then to keep the cycle going. I cleaned the tank but didn't touch the filter before adding the new fish, and added Biodigest Start Up & Stop ammo according to instructions to be sure... and I tested the water beforehand to make sure there was zero nitrites and some nitrates present...) I've changed water several times every few hours over the afternoon and evening, and so far it's not going away. I can keep the levels down but not completely clear it. I've added double dose of Aquasana and Sera Ectopur (stress-relieving salt mixture) with the water changes. The fish don't seem particularly stressed YET.

441316742_433865469245618_7387619570786620840_n.jpg

So what should I do? Keep changing the water until the cycle catches up, or help balance it by adding filter gunk from the main tank, even though it would partially break the quarantine?

I think though you jinxed yourself in another thread where you said you werent interested in breeding. Those fish may have other ideas
    Lol. I tried to pick different sexes but I'm fairly sure the other one isn't even the particular fish I chose. Who knows, they were all almost identical. It would be fun if they happened to pair up and would be worth breeding from for sure. We'll see.

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, just keep changing water. 40% every other day should do it. If nitrites are present, add about 2 TBS salt per 10g and replace the percentage of salt removed during water change until nitrites are no longer present.

Registered Member

Thank you, Brian! Will do.

Registered Member

Update on the new fish!

#1 concern - nitrite level is still up, despite daily water changes, adding Sera Nitrivec (biofilter starter) and double dose of Aquasana with each water change, and adding salt. The fish don't seem to be really bothered by it, which I find very weird. Shouldn't they react at levels like 0.3mg/l and even slightly above sometimes? Their breathing looks normal, and behaviour is what you'd expect from new discus. They are eating some although not voraciously, easily scared but not hiding. One thing they don't seem to like is the water changes, they always go passive and dull-coloured for a while after. Should I just continue the way I've been doing with wc's and hope it settles? Or should I de-toxify the nitrite with some additional chemicals like Sera Toxivec or Seachem Prime? I can get those tomorrow if needed.

I think I got two females after all. One is chasing the other, flashing fins and even nipping at the other and has been cleaning surfaces, hovering and staring at the filter and the mangrove log, acting like it wants to breed. But maybe frustrated that the partner isn't either willing or suitable.

And a funny thing happened with the Apistos this morning... I only found 3 fish in the small tank and the female apisto was missing. I searched the tank, lifting out the filter and pieces of wood, taking out all of the floating plant, couldn't find it anywhere. Searched the room thinking it had jumped out. Nope. Couldn't find it until I put the filter back and re-started it. Out comes the fish with the water flow somehow it had gotten inside there. Weird.

The salt you are adding is blocking alot of the damage the nitrite would be doing to the fishes blood. If the fish are not showing stress there thats a good thing.
    Are you seeing ammonia levels?

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

I have only the Seachem Ammonia Alert but no test kit. I know it might not be trustworthy but it's showing nothing.

Johanna,
    I would really advise getting a test kit for ammonia. Without it you really cant tell how far along in the cycle you are.. That you have nitrite means you have ammonia... how much is the question? I have never used those ammonia alerts but I read they are slowvto react and only respond to non-toxic ammonia. Also that they are not for use in acidic water. Your water is pH 7.1 from a previous post. ... but frequent water changes could be throwing that into the acidic range if CO2 is there. Having an ammonia test kit can tell you alot that seachem alert can't.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

I would also question the nitrite reading. I know with the API test kit, you have to shake the bottles very hard before testing to get an accurate reading. I would assume the same is true for Tetra.

This is the kit many people use -

https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Real Name
    Tom

Could the nitrite test just be faulty? Changing water every day and still reading nitrite would have me wondering. How big is the tank.
    Great looking discus!!
    Yes add some filter media from your main tank. That’s the way I always qt new fish. 2 discus even that big should not be giving you a daily nitrite reading. If your discus look fine it’s the test kit. I’ve found nitrite worse than ammonia. Any nitrite in a tank and the fish show there’s a problem.

Brian that heavy shaking is for the nitrate test not nitrite. Nitrite is the 5 drips. Clear good purple bad .

Real Name
    Brian

The last time I told someone to shake the nitrate bottles someone told me it was the nitrite bottles that need to be shaken. Now I just shake them all lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast