ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Corydoras leucomelas - False spotted cory (I'm behind the eightball!)

Default Corydoras leucomelas - False spotted cory (I'm behind the eightball!)

I am so screwed!! My local fish guy Michael, just got back from his collection trip to the Amazon and has returned with 100 Corydoras leucomelas - False spotted cory, for my 240.

I am scrambling to set up my QT tank as I have to pick them up by this coming weekend!!!
    This is good/bad. It is going to force me to get the big one going rather than putting it off further.

Anyone in the Warrenton area feel like coming over in the next few weeks and helping me to plumb my 240 to the sump? I've never done it and am a bit apprehensive at going solo on it.
    ​Greg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Corydoras leucomelas - False spotted cory (I'm behind the eightball!)

Is the tank already drilled Greg? I've been doing plumbing research and I can see how it would be intimidating to do alone.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Re: Corydoras leucomelas - False spotted cory (I'm behind the eightball!)

Yes - the 240 is ready to go. 2, 1.5'" drain (1 main + 1 emergency overflow) and one 1" return. I can probably muddle through it but sure would be great if I had an expert in the neighborhood!
    ​Greg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Greg, go to a LFS which sells marine fish. Most likely their display tanks are plumbed. Seeing it in action will make it less intimidating.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Greg, go to a LFS which sells marine fish. Most likely their display tanks are plumbed. Seeing it in action will make it less intimidating.
    Thanks Pat. I am just being a nervous nelly. I have been in the build process for over a year now and am freaking out a bit that I might actually be putting water in the tank soon.

I set up a QT for the Corydoara and will be picking them up tonight. My supplier is going to set me up with the QT process for these. He is aware they will be sharing a tank with discus so is ramping up his typical suggestions to cover every potential. I will QT them for at least a month.

Anyway - $103.02 for 100 Corydoras leucomelas straight from the Amazon was a deal I could not pass up
    ​Greg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
    Thanks Pat. I am just being a nervous nelly. I have been in the build process for over a year now and am freaking out a bit that I might actually be putting water in the tank soon.

I set up a QT for the Corydoara and will be picking them up tonight. My supplier is going to set me up with the QT process for these. He is aware they will be sharing a tank with discus so is ramping up his typical suggestions to cover every potential. I will QT them for at least a month.

Anyway - $103.02 for 100 Corydoras leucomelas straight from the Amazon was a deal I could not pass up
    I don't believe there is one of us in this site that would disagree with you there. That is a ridiculous price!

On to the plumbing. Have you considered adding a third drain to make it the emergency? More along the lines of the Bean animal setup? This way, even if two lines are clogged, you would still not flood. Just putting it out there. What are you running in the sump?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I don't believe there is one of us in this site that would disagree with you there. That is a ridiculous price!

On to the plumbing. Have you considered adding a third drain to make it the emergency? More along the lines of the Bean animal setup? This way, even if two lines are clogged, you would still not flood. Just putting it out there. What are you running in the sump?
    Going to follow Stevens advice here.

Hi Greg,

If you use filter socks you might forgo 10 ppi and just use 20 ppi in 3" all the way through. I would do socks, 2x3" 20 ppi., K1, then again 2x3" 20 ppi, pump and heater. Choose two different colors that way you can define which ones to rinse when due. Say every 3-4 months you rinse green, then black or red the next time.
    3" is a lot easier to rinse than 4", hence I rather do 3 than 4" thick sheets. Using two also has the benefit that you do not have to corral the K1 media when removing one of the sheets. You might also have seen our new media: http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtra...ua-media-shop/

I would not use any 45 ppi; it is way too fine and even 30 ppi in many sumps is just a clogging hazard because the flow rate can be quite high and for discus I would recommend that.

Let me know what you think and I will help you to make it work perfectly simple and effective.

Cheers!
    Stephan M. Tanner, PhD
    ​Greg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Cool Greg. I am still up in the air with my sump design. I was thinking receiving tower with an over, then down via 2 socks and over a bubble trap, (which may be pointless after filter socks) media section in the middle, I wanted K1 but still find it difficult to comprehend, and finally return with heaters. I bought 2 250w heater from Jehmco cheap. $20 for each Jager

Cafepress.com

Greg, what in the dickens are you going to do with 100 cat fish!

Amazing price, but if and when they start breeding, you're in for a LOT of babies

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    Greg, what in the dickens are you going to do with 100 cat fish!
    I figured on some losses I am excited to see the schooling on the bottom of the 240. They are pretty small and hopefully won't be too disruptive. We will see ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Amazing price, but if and when they start breeding, you're in for a LOT of babies
    Free food source

I might end up pulling some down the road if they get out of control, and selling at our local CCA group meet-ups.
    ​Greg

If you get to the point they start spawning, I think you'll find it a lot of fun. If this is a path you want to try to take, I did find that my sterbai cories started spawning like crazy when fed Bill's beef heart flake with pro-growth.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you get to the point they start spawning, I think you'll find it a lot of fun. If this is a path you want to try to take, I did find that my sterbai cories started spawning like crazy when fed Bill's beef heart flake with pro-growth.
    That is exactly what I am feeding them. I addition, I am using the crumbs from Al's FDBW. They love that as well.
    ​Greg

post some photos if you get a chance. I loved it when I had a giant group of cories in my 130. I thought it was an amazing sight.

Len

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tankster; 02-12-2015 at 11:53 PM.
    ​Greg