ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

The tank l was cycling took a little longer than l expected but was good to go a couple of days ago, so the first chance l got this morning, l went and paid my local discus breeder a visit.

He was eagerly waiting for me to have this tank ready as he wanted to unload this small group of about 25 Blue Diamonds off their parents so he could get them to rear a much bigger spawn.

It didn't take very long for them to settle in their new tank, so l gave them a feed of Baby Brine Shrimp which they eagerly accepted. It was a new experience for me watching this group darting around the tank picking up the little specks of food. They are only around the 1/2 inch mark, and the smallest discus l have ever had.

I'm planning on giving them 3 daily feeds of BBS for the next few days before l started introducing them to crushed Discus Gran, and then include my home made mix of Beef Heart which l have branded XXX. I want to be careful not to overload my single sponge filter at this early stage, so l plan on doing 2 small water changes of about 30% every day. Since l'm not storing any water l don't wish to do larger water changes and risk altering the water temp' by too much
    This is going to be a new experience for me, and will come in handy for when l have a go at raising my very own batch of fry from the Spotted Eruptions which are coming along nicely. I hope to get some shots of them for an update some time soon, but at the moment l am being distracted by my new group

1-20160903_171706.jpg

1-20160903_171736.jpg
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Joe, cute little buggers. Not sure if you need to hear this from me but since you have not had discus this small I will offer these suggestions. Careful not to overfeed and watch for ammonia since you just upped the bio-load in the tank. I am pretty sure others will suggest larger water changes but guessing you are following the suggestions from your breeder. Best of luck with these little ones and look forward to seeing them grow.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Sweet! Looks like fun is a brewin.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytheboss1 View Post
    Welcome back! You can only fight it but for so long. lol "T"
    ha..some truth to that...
    i was out of Discus and fish for a while,,,but came back too.

just noticed this thread, thanks two utes for the updates, they came out nice.

i also don't like the weak chins, they don't like round then...

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Joe, cute little buggers. Not sure if you need to hear this from me but since you have not had discus this small I will offer these suggestions. Careful not to overfeed and watch for ammonia since you just upped the bio-load in the tank. I am pretty sure others will suggest larger water changes but guessing you are following the suggestions from your breeder. Best of luck with these little ones and look forward to seeing them grow.
    Pat
    Hi Pat. I'm always happy to hear, and will consider any advise given to keeping and raising healthy discus, so thank you very much. Yes he has given me some guidelines to follow and told me to keep a close eye on ammonia levels, especial at this early stage. I only just woke up a little while ago and went straight to the tank to check the little guys out. Ammonia is still at zero, and a small feed of BBS given. Think l might have breakfast now, and then a water change is in order for them......I hope my other group of discus don't get jealous of all the attention these little guys are getting

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    Sweet! Looks like fun is a brewin.
    Yes fun it is! Keeping them healthy is so important. Things can go pear shape very quickly, and the reason its so important to do the best you can for them

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    ha..some truth to that...
    i was out of Discus and fish for a while,,,but came back too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    just noticed this thread, thanks two utes for the updates, they came out nice.

i also don't like the weak chins, they don't like round then...
    Yes so l've been told...once a discus keeper, always a discus keeper. Welcome back to you also
    Yes l tend to agree with you on the week chins. I'm already eyeing out a couple of discus that will go from the main tank....hopefully not for another month though

Real Name
    Ryan

Awesomeness with fins, joe. Glad to see ya finally got them.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    Awesomeness with fins, joe. Glad to see ya finally got them.
    They sure are awesome Ryan. I sure was hanging for the tank to cycle so l could get them. They already recognize that they are getting a feed when l enter the room and come darting to the front of the tank.....would never have thought at only 5 weeks old

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I've been a little distracted with my new group of juvenile Blue Diamonds, but my main group of Spotted Eruptions are still getting the care and attention they deserve.
    I notice the patterns vary lots on each fish and some have larger spots than others. I also notice the pattern is slowly going through the whole body and on some days they look better than on others. I suppose l still have a few months to go before they are fully colored up, but i'm not in a hurry for that because l am really enjoying watching them evolve.

Here's some more photos and another short video of the full group of 12, and i'm thinking that l may thin them down to the final 8 some time in October.

q4.jpg

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

q5.jpg

Last edited by two utes; 09-06-2016 at 05:00 AM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Check out how different they look with the tank lights off. Sorry about the poor quality pics, and glare on the glass, but its the best l can do for now.

1-20160907_130129.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Joe, they look awesome, how old are they now?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    Joe, they look awesome, how old are they now?

Thank you Dhaval. They are a little over 8 months old

How are those new fry lookin?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    How are those new fry lookin?
    So far so good. As l mentioned this is by far the smallest size discus l have ever had, and also the largest group. I have introduced crushed pellets, my XXX beef heart mix, and also started on Loose Freeze Dried Black Worms to their diet in small quantities.
    I haven't noticed any change in size yet, but they are very active and attack their feeds with gusto.

I leave for a two week fishing trip on Sunday, and my son with take over the programme....l just hope l notice a difference in size when l get back home, and i'll be sure to share some more pics of them once l have settled back in.
    Thanks for your interest

Registered Member

Any pics of the parents mate? Would be interesting to see a shot of them for reference when these are grown out

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast