AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fixing condensation in aquarium heater ?

Registered Member

Default Fixing condensation in aquarium heater ?

I have a $50 300w Aqueon Heater in my 120g corner bow discus tank.. I used two heaters in it at one time a 250 petco heater and this 300 but i learned i didnt need two to heat it so i took the 250 out and i use it for my 27g hex which had no heater.

Anyway, i noticed like 4 days ago when cleaning the tank my 300w had moisture where the orange light is.. Looking close moisture is all over the top portion of the heater. but not on the elements and not pooling on the bottom. Its just a little condensation. I dont fully sibmerge the heater usually 1 inch is above the water line, it is verticle along the wall in order for me to get easy access to the temp knob

Im pretty pissed as this heater is only 4-5 months old and i dont have the receipt so im sure aqueon will just laugh even though it has a lifetime warranty. Im pretty handy, work on cars, and fix alot of things myself.. So i was wondering couldnt i just take the heater apart.. Pull the heating element out or at least pull it partially out breaking the seal and use a blow dryer to heat the tube top and bottom to evaporate the moisture.. Then re-seal the heater with aquarium silicone ? I do not have $50 for another heater atm because im having money issues.. I mean worst case is i break it and i just have to go to my 250w in the 27g.

What do you guys think ?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Fixing condensation in aquarium heater ?

Once you opened it will not seal like before and the cap has to be kept above the water
    Replace it as soon as possible. Condensation is your first sign the heater is going to fail anyways.
    I make it a habit to keep all my heater caps above water. Wait till some has a sale on good heaters
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jeff

I have to completely disagree. I have at least a half dozen heaters that are 10+ years old and have had moisture in them pretty much since the first year. I wouldn't give a second thought to it. To be clear these are fully submersible heaters. If its one that is made to hang on the side (if they even make those anymore?) then it may need to be replaced, I don't have experience with them to offer a suggestion.

My understanding is that's not condensation but oil from the making of the heater.Its fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Naz

@SNap0283....... 2 of mine that had gotten condensation they failed soon afterwards and what hurt was that they newer (Aqueon) then the ones that have now.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jeff

The ones I have are the <$10 a piece ones from whatever online supplier is running a sale at the time. Sure ive had a few fail here and there but it doesn't seem to be related to the moisture inside. Your issue may very well be different from my own experience.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Once you opened it will not seal like before and the cap has to be kept above the water
    Replace it as soon as possible. Condensation is your first sign the heater is going to fail anyways.
    I make it a habit to keep all my heater caps above water. Wait till some has a sale on good heaters

What makes you say it cant be re-sealed just curious? Anything can be resealed, thats like saying once a tank leaksit cant be resealed, ive redone seals ona few of my tanks and never had issues, i dont see how this heater would be any different Then sealing up a water pump or tranny or engine or any aquarium i have done in the past.

I mean as far as the moisture usually i dont worry about it, but since its in a tank with a thousand dollars worth of discus and plants and other fish i dunno, i have heaters with moisture in them and they never failed, in fact never had a heater fail on me.. I still use 25 year old heaters from back in the day.. I dunno maybe im being paranoid.
    Last edited by Discus3anatic; 12-27-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    The ones I have are the <$10 a piece ones from whatever online supplier is running a sale at the time. Sure ive had a few fail here and there but it doesn't seem to be related to the moisture inside. Your issue may very well be different from my own experience.
    I agree with you that every case is different but having had a failure with Aqueon and OP has the same brand as mine,my suggestion to him that it would be prudent to change.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Discus3anatic View Post
    What makes you say it cant be re-sealed just curious? Anything can be resealed, thats like saying once a tank leaksit cant be resealed, ive redone seals ona few of my tanks and never had issues, i dont see how this heater would be any different Then sealing up a water pump or tranny or engine or any aquarium i have done in the past.

I mean as far as the moisture usually i dont worry about it, but since its in a tank with a thousand dollars worth of discus and plants and other fish i dunno, i have heaters with moisture in them and they never failed, in fact never had a heater fail on me.. I still use 25 year old heaters from back in the day.. I dunno maybe im being paranoid.
    What I should have posted that sometimes it does not seal like from the factory. Yes you may be able to put it all together and still end up with condensation down the road.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

My Eheim-Jagers sometimes have condensation near the top. These are submersible, and I don't worry about it.

Real Name
    Ralph

I would not tamper with it if it still works and maintains heat properly.
    You will get better heat distribution if submersible heater is near bottom and positioned horizontally.
    I have had my Jagers show inside moisture for years without any issues.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden