AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

I really want this exact rainbow background spotted discus. Does anyone know who's fish this is and what it's called? I believe it's an eruption but it doesn't look like most eruptions to me. I bought 2 of these discus (this is the picture they used in their advertisement) and ended up getting 2 totally different discus (see pictures). The discus I got didn't even have spots. They have squiggly lines. Also, does anyone know if this discus variety is prone to banding/jail bar stripes? The seller acted like any fish I get would look like what he sent me and it would always have a propensity for banding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

I would say a fish would look much different out of the water and under certain lighting.

I am no expert on strains. Could be eruption maybe leopard. The two you have look like leopards and the one on the left maybe leopard SS

Stress bars are a trait of all barred fish. Pigeon blood strains would be the exception to bars
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Where did you ordered your fish?

Real Name
    Ricardo

All of these are leopards. Some are 9 bar and 14 bar SS. You have a mix of both here. My group of 25 was a mix between eruption leopards, leopards and some Turks. Keep in mind, they all came from the same parents. Leopards don't breed true and as a seller, they should have separated the different ones from one another.

Personally (probably biased) I love the eruptions I had that came from Mr. Goh Eng Khoon.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I would say a fish would look much different out of the water and under certain lighting.

I am no expert on strains. Could be eruption maybe leopard. The two you have look like leopards and the one on the left maybe leopard SS

Stress bars are a trait of all barred fish. Pigeon blood strains would be the exception to bars
    Thank you Ryan. I guess I will avoid this strain since I don't like banding.

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    Where did you ordered your fish?
    From someone I later found out steals pictures from other discus breeders and puts them on his site to sell discus -Discus.com. Some of their discus are really nice. He doesn't need to steal pictures. I hate getting a discus that doesn't look anything like the picture. I'm wondering who the real breeder of the discus is.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    All of these are leopards. Some are 9 bar and 14 bar SS. You have a mix of both here. My group of 25 was a mix between eruption leopards, leopards and some Turks. Keep in mind, they all came from the same parents. Leopards don't breed true and as a seller, they should have separated the different ones from one another.

Personally (probably biased) I love the eruptions I had that came from Mr. Goh Eng Khoon.
    Hi Rick. I checked him out, very nice. I wish I liked the banding.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Heidi,
    Looks like you have a couple nice fish, but unfortunately you have learned what several have here, that the dealer was not very reputable. Just for fun, I looked at Kenny's last November shipment pics, one of the first red-eagle pics, and I believe the hands holding the fish are the same, although a bit older? in the Nov pics. I think that's Forrest, Kenny's Malaysian supplier. I think he buys quality fish from several sources, as well as raising his own. It looks like an eruption leopard to me.

Maybe I should take up palm reading in my retirement.

I think the lighting has a lot to do with the rainbow and shine difference. I have seen your other post about color changes though. It would be nice to know what to do to maintain the best color, and I think it might vary for different strains.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 01-07-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Heidi

Wow Steve! Same palm lines! You're good.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Heidi,

I think the lighting has a lot to do with the rainbow and shine difference. I have seen your other post about color changes though. It would be nice to know what to do to maintain the best color, and I think it might vary for different strains.
    I agree.

I think my discus get way more light than most people's. I don't know of anyone else with a white tank, white tile bottom and white room with French doors that don't have any covering. The PB's I had (before they died) always maintained great color. Everyone else sort of fade to pastel during the day and deepen a little at night.

I just took this video. They are kind of pastel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVdHgHVn38&t=27s
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-07-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Real Name
    Heidi

Here they were eating last night. They look a more vibrant to me at night. https://youtu.be/pRgOWEBu2AE

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    From someone I later found out steals pictures from other discus breeders and puts them on his site to sell discus -Discus.com. Some of their discus are really nice. He doesn't need to steal pictures. I hate getting a discus that doesn't look anything like the picture. I'm wondering who the real breeder of the discus is.
    Hi Heidi, Michael Li who is the person behind Discus.com does not actually have any discus. He works with a few discus vendors whom supply the fish when you order from his site. So the discus might be "close" to what you might actually order. If you are inclined to order from him again please read this before you do http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t-doesn-t-have.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Heidi, Michael Li who is the person behind Discus.com does not actually have any discus. He works with a few discus vendors whom supply the fish when you order from his site. So the discus might be "close" to what you might actually order. If you are inclined to order from him again please read this before you do http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t-doesn-t-have.
    Pat
    Thank you for sharing this Pat.

I will not purchase from him again.

Real Name
    Willie

Heidi;

If you're looking for something specific, send the picture to Kenny and ask him to match a fish for you. Be prepared to pay a little extra, but that fish is worth it.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you for oyyr suggestion Willie. I will try that.

Real Name
    Phil

Heidi,

Where are you located ? Are any reputable vendors near you? In a situation such as this as good as the sponsors here are you may want and need to go see the fish in person.

I had a group of leopards from Chicago discus and as stated they are all very different yet a few looked like what you wanted and are looking for

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Heidi,

Where are you located ? Are any reputable vendors near you? In a situation such as this as good as the sponsors here are you may want and need to go see the fish in person.

I had a group of leopards from Chicago discus and as stated they are all very different yet a few looked like what you wanted and are looking for
    Thank you Phil.

Do you know anyone near Bakersfield, California? I don't know of anyone reputable.

I'm about 5 hours away from Kenny's discus. I've thought a lot about going to get my discus straight from Kenny except there are a few road blocks. Does Kenny have a store can you actually visit and go pick out the exact discus you want? If my husband would agree to make a road trip (he would like to visit San Fran so that's entirely possible) and if Kenny had a new shipment in and we were able to take off at a nano second notice (seeing as Kenny's discus sell out in about 1-3 days) and if Kenny would allow me to pick out the exact discus then of coarse hold them and ship them when they're out of quarantine, will those discus be available or already pre-sold to other people since I've been on a wait list for some Kenny discus for over a year?... In a perfect world I could drive to Daley City and hand pick some coveted Kenny discus. I don't see that happening though.
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-08-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast