ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Kanacyn Where to Buy ?

Registered Member

Default Kanacyn Where to Buy ?

I need a large amount of Kanacyn. I will be treating 2 55g tanks for 10 days does anyone know where I can get it in large quanities??

I checked pet solutions, they do not carry. I fear LFS will not have enough but I am going to call them this morning.

Thanks

Default Re:Kanacyn Where to Buy ?

Hi Karen,
    You can buy it Jehmco.com or florida tropical fish farm...http://www.ftffa.com/

The product Kanacyn is no longer made..It was the brand name for kanamycin Sulfate as sold by aquatronics. (out of Business).

You want Kanamycin Sulfate.

What are you treating with it?

-al

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Al:
    She just had a discus die from internal bacterial infection where the body became bloated and the eyes protruded. She is seeing another with eyes protrucing. IN the past few months Karen has lost others due to an unknown cause, a recent one was doing the dash/whirling routine.

I've run out of ideas :-\

Registered Member

Carol
    You are the greatest always watching my back. Yes Al, godmother carol knows the story. I am at my wits ends.

I found what you suggested 100grams will that be enough to treat 2 tanks for 10 days what is the dosage, it did not say

Also going to LFS as soon as they open this morning to see if they have either first.

Hi Karen and godmother Carol ,

what kind of Discus was the dead one and this one?

It does sound like you may have an issue in your tanks.,, I remember one fish you lost to a possible swim bladder problem.. Now one dead on with what sounds like another internal issue and another similar. kanamycin would be something to try here.. but I think It would be better to see if its the right med and treat just that sick fish in a hospitol tank. That med is very expensive and 100 grams will definetly not treat both tanks 10 days. I would try that med in a hospitol tank first. With in 3-5 days it will start to work if its the right med.

The question is ..where is this bacteria coming from? I think you should look at what you are feeding.These fish all seem to have internal issues... The bacteria responsiblehas to get in someway and foods a good suspect.

Theres also the distinct possiblility that what you are dealing with may be TB..Not to raise alarms..but until you know whats going on here..do not put your hands in that tank with any open wounds. TB can lay dormant in a fish for months and years and then sometimes due to stress it becomes active. If this ill fish dies...Freeze it in case you have a lab nearby.. They may be able to autopsy it and see the telltale signs of TB in the Liver. TB is NOT treatable in Fish.

Finding out whats going on in a tank like this is definetly not an easy thing. Sounds Like you both are doing the best you can. Let me know If I can help further.

-al

Registered Member

what kind of Discus was the dead one and this one?

Ok lets recall if I can:
    Rose-Red was weak and had hex like symptoms, culled it because it was a runt anyway

Gold Diamond- Thrashed around for about 3 days finally took it self out

Golden Leopard- was fine then all of a sudden one day saw it hanging by the top of the filter next morning it was dead

Blue Panda- bloated and then had red mucous like things coming from the body culled it

Avatar Fish-could not swim, you remember this one

Red Melon- Current one now had somewhat popped eyes, could have had for awhile this fish comes from a tank I had no problems with so I seldom studied them.

Feeding:
    I am hoping this is my problem: I feed them alot. ONF1 flake, bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp and color bits. Carol asked me to stop feeding the shrimp and I have as of today.

Filters:

I must admit I am not the best in keeping those sponges clean, they were filthy. I rinsed them last week and again today. Today I made sure the water was rinsing clear

Water Changes:

All the fish EXCEPT RED MELON- got every other day 50% with a few bucket changes in between

The tank with the red melon has all adult fish in there and got changed about 2 times a week 50%

MISC:

All fish except Red_Melon have been in my tank for 10 months and were obtained at the same time.

Red Melon is almost 2 years old.

I am going to fish store now to see if the medicine is available. If so will try the hospital tank for a few days.

Keep giving input please

Registered Member

The bloating and eye protrustion sound like classic symptoms of dropsy, which is very, very rarely cured by the time symptoms are shown. I do believe that the body cavity fills with a liquid, and by the time the fish bloat, several internal organs have already been damaged. It's normally caused by poor water quality but it doesn't sound like that is the case here. Is there any possiblity that there is a toxin getting in the tank that you cannot detect?

An option to the kanacyn is a strong anti-bacterial medication made by Sera cald Baktopur. It's expensive, but treats all bacteria (which means that you'll want to remove filter cartridges during treatment). I tried Baktopur on a paradise fish will severe dropsy to little avail, but some of your fish that don't have severe symptoms aren't too late to save. You can also try Maracyn or Maracyn II by Mardel.

HTH

Registered Member

Update just back from several fish stores was able to find Mardel products only. Did not get them

Meantime, treated oth tanks with salt and they are very very clean. Also reducing feeds to 2 times per day for a few days

Will wait to hear.

Real Name
    Jim

Pet's Supply Plus carries Kanamycn in capsules if there's one near you.. thinking it's Kanacyn too so not sure if it's still in it's effective life or not.. Mardel products are good, used them for years, but may be on the weak side for what you're dealing with..

I checked on this med about a month or so ago, and as I remember Jehmco's price was better.. unless you're alreay a member of ftffa .. which I'm not

best of luck.. sounds like a real bummer

Jim

Registered Member

Hi All,
    I broke down and called a LFS i swore I would never do business with again, they had Kanamycin and a lot of it.

I was able to buy enough meds to treat both tanks for 10 days. Owner was nice enough to give me a 20% discount. Did not find the medicine as expensive as I figured, and my discus are sure worth the money.

Both tanks have been double dosed and are clean. Keep my fish in your prayers please.

Thanks for all input I will keep everyone posted on there progress

Real Name
    Jim

Karen, excellant news.. inexpensive kanamycin ?? where'd you find that ?? lol

best of luck
    Jim

Registered Member

Hi jim
    Thanks. I paid $3.99 for 8 capsules. Got a total of 15 packages and received a 20% discount. I was thinking I would be spending at least a hundred or so, to me the price was reasonable.

Will keep everyone posted

Registered Member

Hi Everyone
    I saw a little reduction in the pop of the eye this morning. Things are looking hopeful.

I am beginning to suspect, decayed food and dirty sponges. Things are so clean now..

Will keep you updated