ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CHEAP Heaters...any users???

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: CHEAP Heaters...any users???

So you would need 2 aqueon's to do same job as one jager. So which is cheaper??
    You can get higher heat out of most heaters by turning them up to max, carefully pulling off the knob and them putting it back on in a position that is a few settings less than maximum, then turning it up to maximum again. Most heaters are set-up that way on purpose, so people don't inadvertently cook there fish.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

They arrived today, I got three of them. Actually I got the 200 watt version here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400610660962...84.m1439.l2649

Haven't tried one out yet, only did a visual inspection. The heaters are made by sunsun. Played with them a little bit. easy to calibrate, look kinda like a eheim and can go up to 34C (93.2). I am guessing you could get them higher by playing with the calibration setting (not that I would).

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Let us know how it is
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    Let us know how it is
    Will do, but other than a major issue, your not going to be able to judge an heater for at least a year or more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    im more worried about heater sticking and cooking my fish....
    I lost 4 tanks = around $2k in discus, $1k in L pleco's and my 1st batch of 70+ pigeon ss young. I now run a redundent system so in case one fails the other cuts it off.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member

Rick, $8.29 for a heater! Incredible! I use Aquatop heaters, dual digital read out. I think they are in the $40-$50 range. What is easier than to set you temp digitally and when you look into your tank the heater setting is a 5/16 inch red digital number and right below that the tank temp is a 5/16 inch green digital number below it. Both numbers are always displayed and your heater is working. When the heater heats the tank a red dot lights up. When the heater stops working, no digital read outs.
    I have not raised my tank temp above 91 degrees so I do not know how high a temp you can go to.
    I have purchased Aquatop 450 watt heaters and they only lasted months. Now I switched to 200 and 300 watt Aquatops and no problems of any sort yet. Does anyone know if the wattage of the heater effects the amount of months a heater functions? Essentially a heater heats the aquarium and the aquarium cools the heater. Maybe the 450 watt ones heat too fast and cause problems or they provide too much local heat causing too much expansion of the heater glass?
    SD is for Discus people and most of us have large tanks and high wattage heaters. I went from 2X450 watt to 2X300 watt in my 150gallon. I live in a rented apartment and I usually have heat. I only have no heat when the boiler is being serviced or repaired, usually less than one day or less at a time. Maybe people on SD should try lower wattage heaters? I do not recall anyone using as low wattage heaters as I do. My heaters do hold the temperature but maybe they stay on longer than high wattage heaters. The total electric cost is essentially the same.
    I did buy my heaters from Kens Fish. $45-$60 each.
    Last edited by Elliots; 03-23-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    Rick, $8.29 for a heater! Incredible! I use Aquatop heaters, dual digital read out. I think they are in the $40-$50 range. What is easier than to set you temp digitally and when you look into your tank the heater setting is a 5/16 inch red digital number and right below that the tank temp is a 5/16 inch green digital number below it. Both numbers are always displayed and your heater is working. When the heater heats the tank a red dot lights up. When the heater stops working, no digital read outs.
    I have not raised my tank temp above 91 degrees so I do not know how high a temp you can go to.
    I have purchased Aquatop 450 watt heaters and they only lasted months. Now I switched to 200 and 300 watt Aquatops and no problems of any sort yet. Does anyone know if the wattage of the heater effects the amount of months a heater functions? Essentially a heater heats the aquarium and the aquarium cools the heater. Maybe the 450 watt ones heat too fast and cause problems or they provide too much local heat causing too much expansion of the heater glass?
    SD is for Discus people and most of us have large tanks and high wattage heaters. I went from 2X450 watt to 2X300 watt in my 150gallon. I live in a rented apartment and I usually have heat. I only have no heat when the boiler is being serviced or repaired, usually less than one day or less at a time. Maybe people on SD should try lower wattage heaters? I do not recall anyone using as low wattage heaters as I do. My heaters do hold the temperature but maybe they stay on longer than high wattage heaters. The total electric cost is essentially the same.
    I did buy my heaters from Kens Fish. $45-$60 each.

I use these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-...item4175209ab2

I have 15 of them, need to get more. They have worked flawlessly for 4 years now*. You do need to wire them yourself, not a big deal for me. Collectively the heater and the controller combined would cost $21.00. Bright red LED display 1" high.

-Rick

*( I did recently have an issue in which the tank cracked, leaked and the water level dropped below the level of the temp probe of the controller. Unfortunately I had a heat stick on that particular controller and the heater cooked the fish. Made a mental not to make sure my temp probes are mounted near the bottom in case that happens in the future.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

after one day, and one small calibration, the heater is holding temp at 28.3 C like a champ. Did a cool water wc dropping the temp down to 26.8 C and the heater brought it right back up to 28.3 C and held as well.

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wow thanks for link.
    i would love to run these instead of ranco for $75 each.
    how do u wire heaters to this unit???

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I use these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-...item4175209ab2

I have 15 of them, need to get more. They have worked flawlessly for 4 years now*. You do need to wire them yourself, not a big deal for me. Collectively the heater and the controller combined would cost $21.00. Bright red LED display 1" high.

-Rick

*( I did recently have an issue in which the tank cracked, leaked and the water level dropped below the level of the temp probe of the controller. Unfortunately I had a heat stick on that particular controller and the heater cooked the fish. Made a mental not to make sure my temp probes are mounted near the bottom in case that happens in the future.)
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Rick

If you can wire a light circuit in your house with a switch, you can wire this controller.

The heaters are working fine at day 4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

after one day, and one small calibration, the heater is holding temp at 28.3 C like a champ. Did a cool water wc dropping the temp down to 26.8 C and the heater brought it right back up to 28.3 C and held as well.

-Rick

rick, I need to start buying heaters and controllers.
    how r those working out for ya?
    do I need controller for each tanks or can I combine few into one?
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Rick

do I need controller for each tanks or can I combine few into one?
    You can run two heaters on one controller, but you can't use one controller on two separate tanks. Controller only has one temp probe.

heaters are still working like champs. True test of a heater is longevity though, so verdict still out for a year or more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

have u looked into this heater also?

WBPHG-300 from:
    http://jehmco.com/html/heaters.html
    Discus dave.

They arrived today, I got three of them. Actually I got the 200 watt version here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400610660962...84.m1439.l2649

Haven't tried one out yet, only did a visual inspection. The heaters are made by sunsun. Played with them a little bit. easy to calibrate, look kinda like a eheim and can go up to 34C (93.2). I am guessing you could get them higher by playing with the calibration setting (not that I would).

-Rick
    Isn't $108 expensive for a 200 watt heater, or am I missing something?

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Isn't $108 expensive for a 200 watt heater, or am I missing something?
    Clearly the seller made a typo when re-listing the item.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Heaters-Chil...&_ssn=setecusa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast