AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Back in the discus hobby

Default Re: Back in the discus hobby

Just returned from my last 8-day trip, which concludes my extensive travel of 28 days in 2 months. Fish are doing great and show no apparent signs of weight loss. During previous trips I noticed the development of brown algae, mainly on the glass bottom of the tank. I then reduced my feeding regiment from 3 times a day (30 + granules) to feeding only once a day while traveling. This had helped some but still quite a bit of algae growth. Before this most recent trip I added some phosban that I still had (4 years old stuff) to the filter, which might have helped some. Still there were algae but probably 50% less than before.

While at home and performing daily water changes, algae play only a small role. I might play around with adding more (and fresh) phosban to my filter the next time I am gone for extend periods of time. I have a phosban reactor but I don't want to install more equipment at this point. Mostly because I don't want to run another pump for the reactor. If there were an adopter for the fluval fx4 tubing that would allow me to integrate the reactor, I would consider doing that. Open to your thoughts and suggestions.

I know - not much of an update and to be honest there is not much going on. Everything is normal, fish are doing great, and I have zero issues. Replaced the water pump I was using previously to help with water changes with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/BOMGIE-Submer...s%2C164&sr=8-7

It works great! This is the one I was using previously which I would not recommend. It stopped functioning pretty quickly after maybe less than 100 service hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan, No news is better than Bad news.. still its been awhile for some pics

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Jandiscus View Post
    ...Replaced the water pump I was using previously to help with water changes with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/BOMGIE-Submer...s%2C164&sr=8-7

It works great!...
    Have always wondered if sump pumps work better than the "aquarium" water pumps. How low is the water level in your reservoir tank when the pump no longer pumps water?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Have always wondered if sump pumps work better than the "aquarium" water pumps. How low is the water level in your reservoir tank when the pump no longer pumps water?
    Hey Willie - I am using this one to drain my tank. I have different ones for my fill tanks (also 1/2hp) and they take the water level below my bottom mounted heaters.

Here are some 5 second videos of yesterday's feeding frenzy

Real Name
    Jake

Going wild for Al's cubes too I see. Thanks for the update! The group is looking fantastic.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345