Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tape worm example---check this out

Default Re: Tape worm example---check this out

In water is just as effective.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Reading this is freaking me out!!! Currently I have six discus from a sponsor. They all are doing great. My other two discus, lemon tetras, cori's are in a 40 gallon tank I had before I found this awesome site. One of the discus is stunted, the other discus seems to be growing and eats like a monster! Before I introduce him to the sponsor fish should I deworm that tank and see if he has worms?

Do the discus when they have tapeworms poop normal? I read that they don't really grow....Can the tetra's and cory's get it?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kreekree View Post
    Reading this is freaking me out!!! Currently I have six discus from a sponsor. They all are doing great. My other two discus, lemon tetras, cori's are in a 40 gallon tank I had before I found this awesome site. One of the discus is stunted, the other discus seems to be growing and eats like a monster! Before I introduce him to the sponsor fish should I deworm that tank and see if he has worms?

Do the discus when they have tapeworms poop normal? I read that they don't really grow....Can the tetra's and cory's get it?
    They will have normal poop and eat fine don't freak out tape worm won't kill the host... If you worried just Deworm them....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member Crystalwaters's Avatar

Thanks for the help. I got lucky and saw the tapeworm, once it fell out of the fish the cardinals ate it (ewwww). Their poo is normal and they have ferocious appetites, also not "pinched".
    This site is amazing, it was great I was able to get a positive ID. Thanks again!
    Crystalwaters
    Discus newb, learning.

Registered Member

If one fish has it in the tank does that mean they all have it? Does the Prazi Pro screw up my sponge filter (meaning I need to toss them out after)?
    Last edited by kreekree; 11-10-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Real Name
    Wes

If one fish has it in the tank does that mean they all have it? Does the Prazi Pro screw up my sponge filter (meaning I need to toss them out after)?
    Prazi pro does not kill your bio filter or do anything harmful to the sponge.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not necessarily but its likely. And as Wes said, it won't affect your bio bed.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Registered Member

So why doesn't one do this once a year or every six months just to make sure your discus all stay healthy?

what is the source of tapeworms in discus? in dogs and cats its from eating a flea and once gone and fleas controlled u dont have a problem. do they get it from a food source or do they come in from their previous environment?
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvet06 View Post
    what is the source of tapeworms in discus? in dogs and cats its from eating a flea and once gone and fleas controlled u dont have a problem. do they get it from a food source or do they come in from their previous environment?
    Here's a little bit on cestodes (tapeworms)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa041

Cestodes, also called tapeworms, are found in a wide variety of animals, including fish ( Figure 23 ). The life cycle of cestodes is extremely varied with fish used as the primary or intermediate host. Cestodes infect the alimentary tract, muscle or other internal organs. Larval cestodes called plerocercoids are some of the most damaging parasites to freshwater fish. Plerocercoids decrease carcass value if present in muscle, and impair reproduction when they infect gonadal tissue. Problems also occur when the cestode damages vital organs such as the brain, eye or heart.
    And some great info on nematodes (roundworms)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa091
    Visit Eddie's Place

Great summaries in the links - thanks

Thanks so its copepods so once eliminated shouldnt need retreatment if nothing new added. Cool thanks eddie.
    ~Jaimie~

"The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter - he's got to just know."-Will Rogers

Registered Member Crystalwaters's Avatar

Saw the worms in three discus after prazi-pro, all the other fish seem okay or I haven't noticed the worms. SD member mmorris recommended that I worm them months ago, I should have listened :S
    Crystalwaters
    Discus newb, learning.

Registered Member

This is a fantastic for tapeworm. I am about to treat mine. My question is do I need to keep light off during prazi treatment?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast