AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Need a fish trap to catch fry

Real Name
    Dave

Default Need a fish trap to catch fry

I am needing to catch fry soon from some neolamprologus similis (shell dwellers) as I have three groups of fry now in the same 20 gallon tank.

I am wanting a trap so I don't disturb the tank too much.

This tank is a project with my youngest son, and he was excited when he saw the fry. since then I have noticed more groups of fry. 1/4 inch long to 1/2 or so inches long.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Default Re: Need a fish trap to catch fry

Dave,
    I use a trap like this to catch shiners for salt water fishing. no reason you cant make one from a fish net for the aquarium. cut off the handle.. tie string in each corner. drop it the tank near the fry.. bait with their favorite food... pull when you see a good haul.

Screenshot_20240526-195712~2.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

The everlasting never changing challenge with catching shellie fry! Been there done that Dave. Tough to harvest a shellie tank not set up specifically for breeding

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    The everlasting never changing challenge with catching shellie fry! Been there done that Dave. Tough to harvest a shellie tank not set up specifically for breeding
    A widely applicable conclusion, Dan. I put some old L-333 plecos into a 110-gallon show tank for retirement purposes and they expressed their appreciation by spawning again. It's impossible to catch the fry in a 36 inch deep tank without draining it and removing all the potential hiding places.

333in110s.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    A widely applicable conclusion, Dan. I put some old L-333 plecos into a 110-gallon show tank for retirement purposes and they expressed their appreciation by spawning again. It's impossible to catch the fry in a 36 inch deep tank without draining it and removing all the potential hiding places.
    Haha no doubt mate. I have never kept or bred plecos or followed any forums on cats, but I can imagine anything that needs in caves or is seclusive would be a challenge…add 36” tank height, oh boy, they’re there for keeps!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Haha no doubt mate. I have never kept or bred plecos or followed any forums on cats, but I can imagine anything that needs in caves or is seclusive would be a challenge…add 36” tank height, oh boy, they’re there for keeps!
    Willie surprised while trying to catch plecos...Screenshot_20240531-070652~2.jpg

AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

At my age, everything is irritating.