AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus Quirks?

Default Discus Quirks?

Discus as s group of strains and related species are pretty homogenous as a group with regards to behavior but even among them there are some quirks among groups and even among fish.

For instance we have bulldogs which of course look quite different due a physical trait. Many of us really don't like this trait but it exists for better or worse

We have Blue Diamonds which hold the discus record for the largest diameter turds. If you are new to discus and get Blue Diamonds you may be surprised and worried by it. There must be some physical reason why this happens so consistently in this strain of fish. Its actually painful to watch them pass these.

Do you know of any other quirks? Like how albino discus fry have vision issues when born?

Or that Dark backgrounds bring out the Pepper in Pigeon Bloods?

How about just a quirky fish. I have one male Discus I absolutely can not put together with another discus. if its not in a large group of fish it will literally kill the other discus. Though typical for cichlids to be aggressive as a group.. most discus tend to be less so. Not to say they don't fight
    or spar over territory and mates . This first is quirky... He is that kid in school.thats always in the office for fighting.

Any quirky fish in your tanks?
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-22-2024 at 06:52 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus Quirks?

This

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I have one for you or not I don't know if it's a quirk. My two Eruptions that were a pair now in the 125 gallon tank with the others. They seem to spar a bit since the female now paired up with the panda and the male still wants to pair again with her. So the female Eruption and Panda spawn, the female Eruption turns dark and the male Eruptions turns dark but the Panda and eruption take care of the eggs as the male eruption just hangs around annoyed. After the eggs are gone they are both back to normal color. This goes on and off all the time. They are healthy eating well.
    They go much darker than the picture.
    IMG_0392.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This

Thats great! It really looks like its enjoying it! was it purring bubbles ?

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I have one for you or not I don't know if it's a quirk. My two Eruptions that were a pair now in the 125 gallon tank with the others. They seem to spar a bit since the female now paired up with the panda and the male still wants to pair again with her. So the female Eruption and Panda spawn, the female Eruption turns dark and the male Eruptions turns dark but the Panda and eruption take care of the eggs as the male eruption just hangs around annoyed. After the eggs are gone they are both back to normal color. This goes on and off all the time. They are healthy eating well.
    They go much darker than the picture.
    IMG_0392.jpg
    Chuck I think they need marriage counciling. It seems like your female is the cheating type with a bad boy boyfriend on the side(the panda) and the Male Eruption is just one of those individuals in a relationship that is attached to something that Isnt a thing anymore.That turning dark both eruptions are doing is the equivalent of a married couple throwing daggers with their eyes at the spouse they can't stand. Tragic really.Poor fellow.

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

That's great! It really looks like its enjoying it! was it purring bubbles ?
    Yes he is enjoying it. Nice video Pat
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jake

I was about to say the same thing Al, that fish WANTED to be pet. It went back up to the top of the water and turned a bit like "Hey we're not done here! "

Registered Member

I love these, this is exactly why discus are superior in personality to any other fish... they really have distinct characters, some more than others. I have one that only eats the worst kind of junk food... and the biggest of my old discus is somehow the one most easily scared. It also seems to be a discus thing that they always like to nip at my hands and arms when I'm doing maintenance. Sometimes they bite hard enough that it hurts. None of the other cichlids even have ever done that.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thats great! It really looks like its enjoying it! was it purring bubbles ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Yes he is enjoying it. Nice video Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    I was about to say the same thing Al, that fish WANTED to be pet. It went back up to the top of the water and turned a bit like "Hey we're not done here! "
    Thanks Al, Chuck and Jake and yep, you nailed it. This fish would "ask" to be petted. I actually started this by lightly touching the fish when he came to eat. It didn't take long for him to "ask". lol
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thanks Al, Chuck and Jake and yep, you nailed it. This fish would "ask" to be petted. I actually started this by lightly touching the fish when he came to eat. It didn't take long for him to "ask". lol
    Pat
    Now your challenge is to train the wild greens to be pet.

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Now your challenge is to train the wild greens to be pet.
    After I read your post Al and I planted a FDBW cube onto the glass and the group comes up as a whole to eat and I stick my finger in just to lightly touch a couple of the fish and they didn't like that. Now they are all sitting along the bottom so this will be harder to do as the entire group has to accept fingers in the water when not feeding if that makes sense. lol
    Pat

The power of the blackworm will eventually prevail.

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

I have heard about the blue diamonds and their poo noticed it with mine. But have a pair of mosiac rafflesia that I think would give them a run for the money. Kind of strange and only had them a couple weeks now so sure they are settling in but they sure seem dull. Just kind of sit there don't move around much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr 63 corv View Post
    I have heard about the blue diamonds and their poo noticed it with mine. But have a pair of mosiac rafflesia that I think would give them a run for the money. Kind of strange and only had them a couple weeks now so sure they are settling in but they sure seem dull. Just kind of sit there don't move around much at all.
    Alot of those designer strains don't breed true. Maybe yours have blue diamonds mixed in.

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

I have never had any discus do this. They kept going around the filter to reenter the flow of bubbles. Pretty funny. Anyone know how to embed a short?
    Pat

http://youtube.com/shorts/qIRgLBAD6j...PqBcrI_8FtbASs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast